NEWSLETTER

/  

November 9, 2021

/  

11:41 p.m.

Recent UChicago Graduate Killed in Tuesday Shooting; Campus Bomb Threat a Hoax | Newsletter for November 10

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning, It’s seventh week. It’s starting to get cold! 🧣

You can read our digital edition here.

A recent University of Chicago graduate was shot and killed in one of two shootings that occurred on Tuesday. 

• The shooting occurred at roughly 2:00 PM near the intersection of 54th Place and Ellis Ave.
  • According to the Chicago Police Department, the victim was robbed by an offender in a dark-colored vehicle who proceeded to shoot him and flee the scene.

Also on Tuesday, a shooting on East 53rd Street injured Congressional candidate Jahmal Cole. Cole, the founder of the activist organization My Block, My Hood, My City, posted about his experience with the shooting on social media.

• The incident occurred at roughly 11:55 AM on the 1500 block of East 53rd Street, near Harper Theatre and Kilwin’s Ice Cream.
  • A University of Chicago security alert noted that UCPD found multiple shell casings at the scene and observed damage to nearby buildings and vehicles.

The University received a hoax bomb threat on Tuesday afternoon in the wake of similar bomb threats at other universities nationwide. The threat, posted on Twitter, was determined not credible by UCPD. 

• No official evacuation order was given, but some professors chose to cancel class early.
  • Harper Café also announced it was closing in response to the threat.

Associate professor Rochona Majumdar is suing C. Christine Fair (Ph.D. ’04, A.M. ’97, S.B. ’91) for defamation. The lawsuit was filed in February in response to statements made by Fair on social media after Majumdar was accused of sexual assault in a Title IX case last year. 

• Fair’s motion for the case to be dismissed was denied by the Illinois Northern District Court in late October, and the lawsuit will proceed.
  • According to an email obtained by The Maroon, Majumdar is currently up for promotion in the South Asian Languages and Civilizations department.

Following backlash from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s student body, UChicago geophysical sciences professor Dorian Abbot was disinvited from MIT’s annual John Carlson Lecture due to his public opinions on affirmative action and diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in higher education.

Members of the student activist group Environmental Justice Task Force have relaunched a fossil fuel divestment campaign, demanding that UChicago divest its $10 billion endowment from stocks that keep the oil, gas, and coal industries financially viable. This action is part of a broader push for the University to be more transparent about its budget and endowment.

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Gage Gramlick writes in:

Third-year Cassidy Wilson recounts her experience of being involuntarily hospitalized during a call with the therapist on call at UChicago Student Counseling.

Columnist Annie Dhal dives into Greek mythology, concluding that loneliness is a feeling UChicago students need to embrace.

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Gabi Garcia writes in:

Arts reporter Seth Nguyen brings us along to 100 Gecs’s latest Chicago concert.

_____________________________________

In Sports

Editors Alison Gill and Finn Hartnett writes in:

Women's soccer earned a bid to the NCAA tournament after a 12–2–4 regular season, hosting a four-team regional over the weekend.

Sports reporter Eva McCord profiles one of UChicago's most popular RSOs: chess club.

_____________________________________

In Podcast

Editor Isaac Krakowka writes in:

The podcast team discussed a week of news on campus that included family weekend, President Alivisatos’s inauguration, and a new student-launched employment app. You can listen here.