NEWSLETTER

/  

May 4, 2021

/  

7:58 p.m.

RSO Hosts Virtual Earth Week; Fully Vaccinated Housing Residents Can Opt Out of COVID Testing | Newsletter for May 5

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s sixth week. It’s May! Looking forward to summer? 🏖️

No issue of The Maroon this week, but graduating seniors, look for a special edition from us in the mail very soon. 👀

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the new United States ambassador to the United Nations, sat down with IOP Director David Axelrod for a live taping of The Axe Files.

• The conversation covered Thomas-Greenfield’s many years spent abroad and how she sees the U.S. position on the world stage as very significant due to these experiences.
  • Prior to being appointed for the position by President Joe Biden, Thomas-Greenfield served in multiple federal positions, including as ambassador to Liberia and as Director General of the U.S. Foreign Service.
  • She will be just one of three Black citizens, and the second-ever Black woman, to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to the U.N.

Campus sustainability RSO Phoenix Sustainability Initiative hosted eight virtual “Earth Week” events from April 18 to 24 in celebration of Earth Day.

• PSI planned to launch the weeklong celebration last year as a carnival-style event on the quad before the pandemic forced them to cancel.
  • The event, held virtually this year, included a workshop to create beeswax wraps, a sustainability-focused Codenames game, and a competition to build structures related to Earth Day on Minecraft.
  • Outside of Earth Week, PSI project groups have been working on a number of projects. Green Data has collected data on food and plastic waste from dining halls, and Campus Composting has received grants from the University toward on- and off-campus composting initiatives.

Fully vaccinated students living in on-campus housing may opt out of mandatory asymptomatic testing, according to the UChicago Forward update sent last week.

• Last week, the University reported 15 new cases of COVID-19.
  • Despite new guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that eased outdoor masking requirements among vaccinated individuals, the email wrote that the requirements of the UChicago Health Pact “have not changed.”

Disability rights student groups, led by students at the Crown Family School of Social Work, advocated for a continuation of Zoom classes post-pandemic when in-person classes resume.

• The group argues that UChicago’s Student Disability Services (SDS) should create a position similar to the existing notetaker job, in which one student present in the class livestreams the lecture to the student learning remotely.
  • They plan to discuss their concerns with Crown Family School Dean Deborah Gorman-Smith soon and reach out to staffers of UChicago’s SDS office. Thrive, the incoming SG executive slate, has also endorsed the measure.

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Gage Gramlick writes in:

Columnist Sylvia Ebenbach argues that sexual education should be part of the Core.

Columnist Maya Ordonez calls for others to remember others before partying. 

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Veronica Chang writes in:

Devon Wenzel, who runs the Instagram account @nestorthemidwaycat, gives a behind-the-scenes look at everyone's favorite campus cat.