Proposed Committee on Environment, Geography, and Urbanization for Environmental Research | Newsletter for March 10

The March 10th, 2022 edition of The Maroon newsletter.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Dear Reader,

As we approach the end of winter quarter, we want to thank you for being a supporter of The Maroon. In the past months, reporters, columnists, and photographers at The Maroon have dedicated themselves to bringing out content that matters to the campus community. We are grateful for the community we live in and report on. Enjoy this newsletter, and see you in spring! 

Read the last issue of winter quarter here

Deputy News Editor Basil Egli writes in:

Editor-in-Chief Ruby Rorty reports on a new proposal for a Committee on Environment, Geography, and Urbanization.

• The proposed committee would create a new platform for interdisciplinary research on the environment.
  • The new committee would not affect the geographical information science minor, which would remain under the Committee on Geographical Sciences.

Senior News Reporter Solana Adedokun and Deputy News Editor Basil Egli fill us in on new campus masking requirements starting March 4.

• Masks are optional in all campus spaces excluding classrooms and instructional laboratories, as well as on UChicago shuttles and buses.
  • RSO leaders are not allowed to require masking at any meetings or events. 
  • Those who have tested positive for COVID-19 or who have been exposed will be required to wear a mask up till the 10th day after their initial exposure.

News Reporter Neive Rodriguez informs us of the To&Through Project in an interview with director Alex Seeskin.

• The project aims to support disadvantaged Black and Latino students in their transition to college and to accept more students from Chicago Public Schools.

News Reporter Kayla Rubenstein gets the scoop on the new UChicago Paris Center.

• Slated to open January 2024, the new center will be twice as big as the current one and will feature an environmentally conscious design by Studio Gang.
  • The new site will be at 39-45 Rue des Grands Moulins in the 13th arrondissement of the city.

ARTS

Arts Editor Isabella Cisneros writes in:

Arts Reporter Zachary Leiter fills us in on Invictus Theatre Company’s latest production Ruined, Lynn Nottage’s Pulitzer Prize winning play about the plight of women in a war-torn mining town in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Arts Reporter Rachel Robinson recounts The Greeting Committee’s sold out tour stop at Wicker Park venue Subterranean as they performed tracks off of their most recent album, Dandelion.

VIEWPOINTS

Viewpoints Editor Ketan Sengupta writes in:

Columnist Henry Cantor discusses individuality, interaction, and the importance of informal socialization between students and instructors beyond the confines of the classroom.

Columnist Irene Qi explores the dangers of unchecked anonymity and the importance of accountability in public forums like UChicago Secrets. 

SPORTS

Sports Editor Finn Hartnett writes in:

Sports Reporter Kayla Rubenstein reviews the recently-reopened bowling alley on East 55th Street.

Sports Reporter Alina Kim covers UChicago’s recent performances at Moot Court events around the country.

Sports Reporter Eva McCord continues the RSO coverage with an expansive recap of the chess club’s success in this season’s tournaments.