University Reports Nearly 50 Percent Increase in COVID Cases | Newsletter for April 21

The April 21st, 2022, edition of The Maroon newsletter.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Dear reader,

Happy Week 4! In this newsletter, The Maroon covers this year’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) election, the spike in COVID-19 cases on campus, and a controversial Institute of Politics (IOP) invitation. In addition, the Maroon Editorial Board published its endorsements for candidates running for USG this year.

In addition, it’s graduation season! The Maroon is accepting submissions for senior columns. Tell us the good, the bad, or the ugly—what made (or broke) your four years at UChicago. Any seniors in the College are welcome to submit! Send your pieces to viewpoints@chicagomaroon.com by April 30th.

Read our April 21, 2022, issue here.

This spring’s Undergraduate Student Government elections will take place from Wednesday, April 20, through Friday, April 22. The Maroon talked to candidates running for cabinet positions. Read about them here.

The Institute of Politics recently invited former U.S. Senator Al Franken, who resigned in 2018 because of multiple allegations of sexual harassment, for a “Night of Comedy” on April 28.

The University announced that new COVID-19 cases have risen by nearly 50 percent and that isolation-in-place measures in residence halls would be reinstated to conserve space in Stony Island Hall.

ARTS

Arts reporter Veronica Chang pays tribute to her mom in a review of Everything Everywhere All at Once, starring Michelle Yeoh, and sits down with the directors of the movie (collectively known as Daniels) in a college roundtable.

After an interview with Sammy Rae, Arts reporter Evan Williams reviews the recent Sammy Rae & The Friends concert at The Metro.

VIEWPOINTS

Per tradition, the Editorial Board announced its list of endorsements for this year’s USG candidates running for executive positions. In addition, the board outlined its hopes for USG next year.

GREY CITY

At the University of Chicago Folk Festival, the true experience is the chatter and banter between and beyond the songs—the lore, histories, and legends that the performers divulge to the audience, writes Eli Wizevich.

Nick Rommel takes us on a firsthand exploration of the musical cultures that surround Hyde Park and the people that create them.

SPORTS

Sports reporter Marcos Gonzalez analyzes the Chicago Cubs’ new-look roster as the team begins their 2022 season.

Sports reporter Blair Penn attempts to answer the age-old question of why UChicago athletes wear their gray sweatsuits so much.