STD (Stuff To Do)—11/13/09 through 11/19/09

Learn how to procrastinate the green way and catch the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic chamber group at I-House.

Friday November 13

Despite the recent death of their drummer Jerry Fuchs, The Juan MacLean will still perform Friday evening at the Smartbar. The set will feature the band's founder John MacLean and Nancy Whang of LCD Soundsystem. (3730 North Clark Street, 8 p.m., free before 11 p.m., 21+)

Saturday 11/14

Catch the premiere of the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic chamber group in its special performance “Strings and Things that Swing” at I-House. The group of 15 musicians will juxtapose classical chamber music with contemporary jazz in works by Bill Russo, Gunther Schuller, and more. A reception will precede the performance and a post-concert discussion will feature the musicians and the Philharmonic’s artistic director. (International House, 7:30 p.m., $15)

Sunday 11/15

Fulfilling its role as a multireligious center, Rockefeller Chapel hosts Sounds of Faith, which includes the musical traditions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. The concert features performances by the Rockefeller Chapel Choir, the Salem Baptist Choir, and the University Organist (Rockefeller Chapel, 5 p.m., free)

In addition to hosting the San Jose Sharks this Sunday, the United Center will also have its Jeremy Roenick Heritage Night. Roenick, who began his illustrious career with the Blackhawks, is arguably one of the most public faces in the NHL due to his disco skills both on and off the ice. The now-retired Roenick will drop the ceremonial first puck and be the feature of several video montages. (1901 West Madison, 6 p.m., $20)

Monday 11/16

Procrastinate the green way at the No Trash Bash hosted by the Green Campus Initiative. Various a cappella groups, including the Ransom Notes and Voices in Your Head, will provide musical entertainment while you learn about environment-friendly opportunities on campus and eat free food. (McCormick Lounge, 8 p.m., free)

Tuesday 11/17

Environmentalist and founder of the Earth Policy Institute Lester Brown will be speaking at I-House in “Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization.” In addition to having a dramatic title, the lecture is also part of the World Beyond the Headlines speaker series. Brown will focus on how transitioning to renewable energy would affect our daily lives. (International House, 6 p.m., free)

Now that R. Kelly is no longer bogged down by pesky child pornography scandals, the R&B singer is free to promote his lastest, as of yet untitled album. The Chicago native is currently headlining the “Ladies Make Some Noise!” tour, his first since the trial. (50 East Congress, 7:30 p.m., $48)

Wednesday 11/18

If all that time at the Reg has made you forget about the existence of other libraries, the Chicago Public Libraries should catch your attention with its free author events at the Harold Washington Library downtown. This Thursday’s featured speaker is Jonathan Safran Foer, author of Everything Is Illuminated. Safran Foer will be reading from his new book Eating Animals, which makes a case for ethical vegetarianism. (400 State Street, 6 p.m., free)

Thursday 11/19

Take a break from Thirsty Thursdays with Sketching at the Smart. Artists of all skill levels are welcome to the Smart Museum for an evening of instructor-led drawing exercises. Music, snacks and basic materials will be provided. (Smart Museum, 5:30 p.m., free)

As the world’s preeminent albino rapper, Brother Ali constantly fields questions regarding his race. With this constant drive for self-examination, it comes as no surprise that his latest album “Us” is an introspective look at the human condition in a mere 16 songs. He will be appearing with Evidence, Toki Wright, and BK One. (3730 North Clark Street, 9 p.m., $15)