This Week on WHPK 88.5 FM

Are you secretly fond of ridiculous musical genres? Do you like to save money? Do you dream about strawberry cobbler? If you answered YES! to any of these questions, then tune into “Mermaid in a Manhole” every other Tuesday morning from 2-4 a.m. and dance along with Courtney to the lush sounds of electropop, noise pop, post-rock, shoegazer, twee, and slowcore. Not only will you be highly entertained and giddy with amusement, but Rolling Stone guarantees that an overwhelming urge to jive will overtake you as the sounds of Slowdive, Galaxie 500, Wolfie, Pram, Ida, and Mates of State penetrate your cochlea. Cheaper than a caffeine pill, “Mermaid in a Manhole” will help you achieve a natural buzz and overcome that caffeine addiction you’ve been trying to kick since freshman year, when drinking coffee made you look cool. Instead of reading those extra ten pages of The Iliad, satisfy your insatiable urges and save yourself some money by tuning in every Monday morning from 2-4 p.m. to WHPK 88.5 FM, the Pride of the South Side. Submerge yourself in the hypnotizing sounds and pulsating beats of musical mayhem for two hours every week. It’s more confusing than the artist formerly known as Prince, more dissonant than your kid brother’s trumpet lessons, and as sugary as your Grandma’s famous strawberry cobbler.

You want to hear really cool live shows, but you’re too lazy to leave your dorm room. Resolve this conflict weekly with Pure Hype. Every Friday night at nine, we broadcast live performances and interviews with wildly diverse bands from Chicago and across the country.

Tonight, Pure Hype presents a double-header: the radically divergent acoustic-guitar stylings of Brendon Massei and Jennifer Convertibles!

Next week, garage rock from the Black Lips!

Swallow folk whole tonight at 8 p.m. in the Reynolds Club! WHPK presents a free concert of folk music. Don’t pass up this rare opportunity to see John Williams, master of Irish button-accordion and concertina, the bluegrass harmonizing of Grass Roots Revival, and the Old Timey fiddle and clogging of Chirps Smith, Dot Kent, and Friends! This show is not to be missed!

WHPK is the community radio station sponsored by the University of Chicago. Are you interested in becoming a DJ at WHPK? To apply, compile a play-list of two hours worth of music, and submit it to whpk@uchicago.edu or drop it off at our office in the Reynolds Club.