Stuff to do

Friday, April 12th

Friday is a good day to rest, and enjoy the weather. Tonight, Doc is showing Vanilla Sky, one of the worst movies made in years. I can’t describe just how crappy this movie is. You have to see it to believe it. Tom Cruise really needs an acting lesson, and Cameron Crowe should really be hiring actors who can act, especially at this point in his career. (Cameron Diaz, ok, Jason Lee, fine, but Penelope Cruz there is no excuse for.) See it now, or just wait until we all come back in another life as cats. There is going to be a lot of dancing tonight on the third-floor theater of the Reynolds club. Dance Studio 2002 continues its spectacular run starting at 8 p.m. Before that, you can catch the UT Mentorship show Spectacular! Spectacular! (no connection to Baz Luhrmann) at 6 p.m. in the first-floor theater of the Reynolds Club. There is also free dancing in which you can partake. The Chicago Swing Dance Society runs Java Jive every Friday night in Ida Noyes. There are free lessons starting at 8:30 p.m. and the dance floor is open from 9:30 p.m. till 1 a.m. And finally, do you ever wonder, “Why should we study ANYTHING AT ALL?” The Graduate Christian Fellowship is presenting Professor Paul Griffiths to talk about just that at 7 p.m. in the Reynolds Club South Lounge. Oh and Delta Upsilon is throwing “The Spring Big Ass Party.” Whatever. It starts at 10:30, and costs $5.

Saturday, April 13th

What to do today? Go outside. The weather should be nice. Other than that… Doc is showing Gosford Park, which is exactly the way you might expect a Robert Altman movie set on a rich British estate, complete with serious Upstairs/Downstairs issues and a murder mystery, to be like. It’s slow, dull, sometimes very funny, and occasionally interesting. Dance Studio 2002 ends its run in the Third Floor of the Reynolds club with two shows for your consumption. One is at 2 p.m., and the other is at 8 p.m. “The University of Chicago Hebrew Hour and the Chicago Friends of Israel invite you to a celebration of the artistic achievements of Israeli filmmakers.” It starts tonight in room 106 of the Kersten Physics building at 9 p.m. Tonight’s movie is Afula Express, the story of a “girlfriend who questions her loyalty to a man whose dreams ignore reality.” And from 8 a.m. till 12:30 p.m. in room 107 of Kent, there will be a public conference on “Church Authority and Scientific Inquiry: The Cases of Galileo & Darwin.”

Sunday, April 14th

Again, get outside. There are two Israeli movies to see today. Saint Clara (the story of how “a Russian immigrant to Israel receives supernatural powers for a few days, which throws her town into chaos”) is at 3:30 p.m. and Kadosh (“a sterile ultra-orthodox couple must reconcile their love with a rabbinic order for the husband to remarry”) is at 7 p.m. in the Kersten Physics building. Spectacular! Spectacular! finishes its run in the first-floor theater of the Reynolds club at noon. Not much on the tube tonight.

Monday, April 15th

“More Than Just Black & White: A Glimpse into Asia America” is in the Reynolds Club tonight at 8 p.m. Following presentations and performances, the reception at Hutch will include free sushi and pastries. Meanwhile, the Israel Film Festival rages on with Avanti Popolo at 8:30 p.m. in the Kersten Physics building. All I know about this is from the blurb on the poster, which says “Two Egyptian soldiers are lost in the Sinai Desert after the 1967 war and forge friendships with Israeli soldiers in the same predicament.” Doc, on the other hand, is showing An American in Paris and The Red Balloon. I think Doc may win this match.

Tuesday, April 16th

The last day of the Israeli Film Festival brings us Everlasting Joy, a comedy in which “Dutch philosopher Baruch Spinoza finds himself in 20th century Tel Aviv and searches for the meaning of life with his new neighbors.” Doc, on the other hand, continues its really clever Modern Texas series with Waco: Rules of Engagement. Or if you prefer to ignore religious disputes altogether, you can check out the Dim Sum Study Break in Hutch. Starts at 8 p.m., it’s free, and there is a veggie option.

Wednesday, April 17th

Doc is showing Barton Fink in case you have an interest in those crazy Coens.

Thursday, April 18th

The Empire Strikes Back is at Doc. I don’t care if you don’t like Star Wars. Even if you haven’t seen Star Wars, come on. Get in the spirit. The release of the new movie is close, you probably need a refresher, and this one really is the best of the bunch by far. I have no need for Ewoks.

Friday, April 19th

The new generation of Off-Off makes its triumphant return with their new series, Off-Off and the Riddle of the Sphinx. At the same time, Doc is finally showing the movie that should have won the new Oscar award for animated films (though it wasn’t even nominated): Waking Life. See it sober. See it wasted. Repeat.

Got something to give to Voices STD? Just email it to Garth Johnston at Garthj@uchicago.edu.