Four more Athletes of the Week for Maroons: Sports Shorts 11/29/05

As the autumn championship season winds down, the Maroons continue to rack up league honors.

Three fall athletes took advantage of the postseason to collect UAA Athlete of the Week awards, as fourth-years forward Renee Neuner and defender Kay Saul were named for women’s soccer and fourth-year Jessica Winter was recognized for women’s cross country. Women’s basketball fourth-year forward Susie Gutowski joined them, the first member of her team selected this year.

The league announced these selections November 22.

A former Division III Player of the Year, Neuner added yet another certificate to her pile by scoring a golden goal at the 99:53 mark in the Maroons’ 1–0 Elite Eight victory over Puget Sound. It was her 18th goal of the year, and her seventh game winner.

Her teammate Saul has been less vaunted over her long career, but may have been no less critical to the team’s Final Four run. She scored the first goal in Chicago’s 2–1 win over Wheaton (IL) in the Sweet Sixteen, and was a wall in front of the goal as her unit allowed just one goal over the team’s first four playoff games.

Winter’s 26th-place, 22:51 performance at the Division III national cross country championships was good enough for All-American recognition. She had previously finished second in the UAA championship meet.

Heading indoors, Gutowski won the MVP award at the season-opening Midway Classic tournament, averaging 19.6 points per game as Chicago swept past its first two opponents. The returning All-American also pulled down 10 boards on the weekend.

These four veterans have all been here before. Winter was named for the 11th time, including seven previous selections for cross country. It was Neuner’s eighth athlete of the week award, Gutowski’s third, and Saul’s second.