Student club brings Hype to yacht party

Up to 300 students will board a yacht for a soiree on Lake Michigan this Friday, November 18, in UChicago Hype’s main event of the quarter.

“Our goal is to take students off of campus and to build a greater school identity,” said Justin Stankiewicz, a fourth-year in the College and executive director of UChicago Hype.

He added that Friday night’s yacht party would not be possible without the financial support of the Student Government Finance Committee (SGFC) and the Council on University Programming (COUP). Both groups funded the cost of roundtrip bus transportation from the Reynolds Club to Navy Pier for those attending the party.

Students can expect three floors full of entertainment on the 160-foot-long yacht, with two DJs from Kiss FM radio and an entire floor devoted to karaoke. The ship’s open-air upper deck will also be open for enjoyment, according to Stankiewicz. “It’ll be cold, but it’ll be spectacular,” he said.

Stankiewicz has noted “decent” ticket sales so far, but anticipates all 300 available tickets to be sold out by Thursday. Tickets will be on sale this week in the Reynolds Club, Cobb, the BSLC, the GSB, and the Law School.

The cost of each ticket is $20 and includes roundtrip transportation to and from the Reynolds Club, and complimentary soft drinks and hors d’oeuvres. A cash bar is offered to those over 21, as well. The party is scheduled to run from 10:30 p.m. until 1:30 a.m., with buses leaving the Reynolds Club at 10 p.m.

Formerly known as Carbon Copy, the group has since been reincarnated as UChicago Hype, a student group that aims to promote awareness and activities around Chicago.

Questions about the event can be directed to uchicagohype@gmail.com