Crime Report: October 7, 2005

A man was robbed on South Kimbark Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets on Sunday, October 2 at 10:20 p.m. The suspect, armed with a handgun, approached the victim from behind and demanded his wallet. The suspect fled on foot, and was last seen heading west on 56th Street.

Another armed robbery occurred the following night, Monday, October 3, at 11:30 p.m. The victim was approached while walking to his apartment building entrance on the 5400 block of South Ellis Avenue. The offender tapped him on the shoulder, and displaying a handgun, demanded the victim’s wallet. When the man hesitated, the offender struck him in the face with the handgun and seized the wallet, then fled the area on foot.

The suspect for the two incidents is thought to be responsible for six other armed robberies in the past month, the first of which took place on September 12. The incidents occurred between 9 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., and the suspect has targeted not only individuals, but pairs as well.

A man was wounded by one of several gunshots fired by unknown assailants near 49th Street and Drexel Avenue at 11:10 p.m. on Tuesday, October 4. The victim was taken to the hospital. Police are investigating.

A man suffered gunshot wounds while talking with companions on the 6100 block of Cottage Grove Avenue at 7:11 p.m. on Wednesday, October 5. The assailants are unknown.

At 10:20 p.m. on the same evening, a man was wounded while sitting at a bus stop by one of several gunshots fired near 63rd Street and Greenwood Avenue. The unknown assailant was driving a gray Chevy Caprice.