Crime Report

On October 7 at 11:15 p.m., a female observed a lone male crossing the street towards her on the 1100 block of East 53rd Street. As he walked behind her, he grabbed her bookbag and a struggle ensued. The victim then noticed a second man running toward her, distracting her and enabling the first offender to take her bag forcefully, breaking the strap. Both offenders then fled the scene. The first offender is described as a black male, 18-20 years old, slim, with a dark complexion and a dark down jacket. The second was described as a male possibly wearing a skullcap.

At 9:30 on the same evening, a male victim was approached by three male offenders on the 5000 block of South Dorchester Avenue. One revealed a handgun and demanded the victim’s money and then demanded that he run north. The offenders subsequently ran south. The armed offender is described as a black male, 18-25 years old, 6′, 125 lbs, medium complexion with a brown knit hat and brown leather jacket. The second is a black male, 27-30 years old, 5’9″, 210 lbs, with a heavy build, dark complexion, and braids. The third is a black male, 18-25 years old, 5’11”, 130 lbs.

On October 5, an armed robbery took place at 9:36 p.m. on the 5400 block of South Greenwood Avenue. Two male victims were accosted by four male offenders demanding money, one of whom displayed a shiny object that was believed to be a cutting instrument. Both victims had objects stolen, including a cell phone and $1. The four offenders then walked to a nearby automobile and fled. A University officer responded to the call and noticed an automobile and its occupants matching the given description of the offenders on the 5700 block of South Woodlawn. They were taken into custody and identified as the perpetrators and subsequently charged with robbery though only one offender, 17-year-old Eric Collins, is old enough to be identified in print. Some of the stolen objects were recovered.

At 8:20 p.m. on the same evening, two females walking on the 4800 block of South Greenwood Avenue were approached by three male offenders, one of whom displayed a handgun while demanding their money. The other two offenders rifled through the victims’ pockets removing money from one and taking two shopping bags. They subsequently ran east on 48th Street. The first offender is 5’5″, 135 lbs with a black puffy jacket, black sweatshirt and jeans. The second is described as having a heavy build, dark complexion, and dark clothing. The third is described as having a heavy build and dark complexion. All are described as black males, around 19-21 years old.

On October 4 at 12:50 a.m., police responded to an intrusion alarm at the Hyde Park Neighborhood Club at 5480 South Kenwood Avenue. They inspected the building to investigate signs of breaking and entering. The police found a window with the glass removed and the screen bent back enough for a person to enter. They then conducted a search and found the offender, 51-year-old John Stone, hiding in a rear utility room. He was taken into custody, charged with burglary and is scheduled to appear in court on October 11.

On October 3 at 3:20 p.m., two male offenders followed two young men in their vehicle on the 4900 block of South Greenwood Avenue and then got out to accost them. They demanded the victims’ money and subsequently punched both victims in the face, knocking them to the ground. The offenders then fled the scene in their car. The victims were taken to a nearby hospital, treated and released. The police are following up on the incident based on the given descriptions: the first offender is described as a black male 18-19 years old, 5’11”, 200 lbs, and sporting a goatee. The second offender is a black male, 6′, 160 lb.

On October 2, a robbery occurred on the 900 Block of West 54th Place. The victim, a female student in the College, was walking alone down the street when she was approached from behind by a male offender. The man made a demand for money and claimed that he was armed. The victim saw something resembling the barrel of a gun and removed money from her wallet. As she continued to walk westbound, she believed she saw a second offender nearby acting as a lookout. The offender was described as a black male 21-23 years old about 5′ 8″ and 150 lbs. He had a slim build, medium complexion and braided hair and was wearing a red jersey and black pants. The lookout was described as a black male 21-23 years old and wearing a black shirt.

— Ritija Gupta