Voices STD (Stuff to Do)

Here comes fifth week, with midterms approaching (or maybe even here already). Unfortunately, there isn’t much new happening in Chicago this week. So that leaves even more time for studying. Great. I’d tell you to go see the Strokes this Friday, but there obviously aren’t any tickets left.

Friday, April 23

Pants Pants Revolution! at the Blue Gargoyle, 9 p.m. $4. Off-Off Campus’s latest show opens this Friday. It’s Off-Off. It’s funny. You should go. (OK, you do have all quarter to see it.)

The Crystal Method at the House of Blues, doors open at 6:30 p.m. $10 to $22.50. A group considered by many to be one of the best American electronic music acts.

Talib Kweli at the Harold Washington Cultural Center, 8 p.m. For those who missed him at last year’s Summer Breeze, now’s the chance to check out this entertaining hip-hop artist.

The Company, 6:30, 9, and 11:30 p.m. at Doc. $4. Robert Altman’s latest film tracks Chicago’s own Joffrey Ballet Company. Most of the cast members are real dancers, including Neve Campbell (a former ballet dancer). It sounds interesting and different from the usual movie fare.

Sufjan Stevens at Schuba’s, 7 p.m. (18 plus), 10 p.m. (21 plus), $10. Voices’s own Dave (“Aural Pleasure”) Maher is a fan, so you’d do well to check out this show by this emerging artist.

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington and 13 Going on 30 with Jennifer Garner open today. Man on Fire screenwriter Brian Helgeland wrote L.A. Confidential, but he also wrote The Postman, so that one’s a crapshoot. The appeal of 13 Going on 30 pretty much depends on how much you like Jennifer Garner. Any Alias fans out there?

Saturday, April 24

Big Dog Eat Child at the Theater Building Chicago, 11 p.m. All ages. $10 plus two-drink minimum (soda if you’re underage). I’m sure you’ve seen their crazy fliers in Cobb; now see what they’re all about (improv comedy, mostly). There’s another show on Friday, same place, same time. De La Rue Industries will also be performing. Check theatre-buildingchicago.org for more details.

Sunday, April 25

UT’s 24 Hour Theater Project in the Francis X. Kinahan Third Floor Theater (Reynold’s Club), 8 p.m. UT’s website doesn’t list a price, but it can’t be too expensive. You’ll be surprised at what this group of talented kids can come up with in just 24 hours, so mark your calendar for a date at the the-ahhhh-ter.

Def Jux Tour at the Logan Square Auditorium. 7 p.m. All ages, general admission. $15. Come see some of the best acts from this independent hip-hop label: Murs, the Perceptionists, SA Smash, and what their website intriguingly refers to as “special ‘surprise’ guests.”

Thursday, April 29

Accidental Death of an Anarchist at 8 p.m. in the Francis X. Kinahan Third Floor Theater (Reynolds Club). This play kicks off UT’s quarterly series of full-length productions.

Better than Ezra, House of Blues. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. 18 plus. $22.50. “It was good livin’ with you,” they sang on their 1995 single. Return the favor by attending this show by the post-grunge alt-rock act.