Women’s tennis rusty after long layoff: Sports Shorts 2/14/06

After competing sporadically throughout the fall and winter, women’s tennis was looking to start their season in earnest this weekend. Unfortunately, things didn’t go quite as well as they had hoped for.

The Maroons (1–3) lost two of three dual meet competitions at Kenyon College this weekend, falling to fourth-regionally ranked Carnegie Mellon (5–0) 5–4 Saturday and top-ranked Denison (1–1) 5–2 Sunday before edging the 11th-ranked host Lords (0–2) 5–4.

While they dropped four of six singles matches against the Tartans, the team won two of three in doubles play. First-year Preetha Rajamani and fourth-year Annie Miller notched an 8-5 victory over Spartan first-year Sheena David and second-year Samantha Schultz, while first-years Jackie Colvin and Vindya Dayananda teamed up to wallop fourth-year Allison Liu and first-year Kelly Nakamura 8–1. Colvin suffered a particularly trying loss in the singles, falling to Schultz 7–5, 1–6 when she was forced to retire in the third set.

Chicago went on to win two of four completed singles matches against Denison. They fared worse in the doubles, as all three Maroons pairs were swept. Dayananda beat Big Red third-year Amelia Crace 7–5, 3–6, 7–5 and Miller downed fourth-year Erin Coughlin 6–4, 6–1. First-year Anuja Parikh dropped a 6–4, 9–7, 7–6 match to first-year Kendra Murray.

However, the squad’s victory against Kenyon looked relatively dominant, as Miller, classmate Katie Dulmage, and Colvin all won in two sets to earn three singles points for the Maroons. Miller and Colvin both blew their opponents out of the water, with Miller posting a 6–0, 6–0 final against Lords fourth-year Melissa Harwin and Colvin notching a 6–0, 6–1 sweep of first-year Molly Yost.

Things went just as well in doubles, as Colvin teamed up with Rajamani to notch an 8–5 decision over Kenyon fourth-year Kara Basler and second-year Meredith Brown. Dulmage paired with Dayananda to shut out fourth-year Erica Lundberg and first-year Alexis Marino.

Now ranked ninth in the region, the Maroons head to Albion (no record) on Sunday.