U of C “Companion”: NPR’s Keillor will speak Wednesday for new hospital

Radio personality, writer, and humorist Garrison Keillor will speak at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, November 3 in celebration of the upcoming opening of the University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital. The new hospital, slated to open in the winter, is a $135 million facility.

Keillor’s radio show, “A Prairie Home Companion,” is broadcasted by National Public Radio and combines music, interviews and comic sketches. The most famous of the show’s segments is the long-running story of Lake Wobegone, a fictitious small town in Minnesota. Keillor began “A Prairie Home Companion” in 1974 in front of an audience of 12 people in St. Paul Minnesota. Today, more than 4 million listen to his weekly show.

In addition to “A Prairie Home Companion,” Keillor also hosts the daily radio program, “The Writer’s Almanac.” He has written several books for children and adults, and also contributes to The New York Times, Atlantic Monthly, and Time magazine. Keillor has received many awards, including a Grammy for the recording of “Lake Wobegone Days,” and he was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame at Chicago’s Museum of Broadcast Communications in 1994. Tickets to his Wednesday night address are sold out.