Voices STD (Stuff to Do)

Another week, another list. I was going to suggest that the events listed below would be a good alternative to Scav Hunt (and they are), but really, it’s slim pickings this week. Maybe it’s a sign from the Scav Hunt gods.

Friday, May 7

Court Theater Student Night, 8-10 p.m., $8. This is a performance of Fräulein Else followed by a discussion with refreshments. It’s a good opportunity to learn more about the play.

The Fog of War, Doc Films, 6:30 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 11:30 p.m. This Academy Award-winning film presents a nuanced view of Robert McNamara, one of the key architects of the Vietnam War. Anyone interested in this time period (or documentary film) should be there.

Blues Traveler, Rockin’ de Mayo party, Elston Avenue at Division Street, $10, 21+. Remember them? If you’re like me, you heard them back in, what, middle school?

Dave Brubeck Quartet, Symphony Center, 8 p.m.

The Crave, by Sarah Kane, directed by Rifka Noronha, and followed by The Man Who Turned Into a Stick, by Kobo Abe, translated by Donald Keene, directed by Emily Saidel. First Floor Theater, 8 p.m. With additional performances on Saturday, this is a great weekend for quality UT productions.

Off-Off Campus’ Pants Pants Revolution!, University Church, 5655 S. University Ave., 9 p.m. This hilarious improv comedy show, directed by Courtney Wassel, runs through May 28.

Dishonorable Discharge, The Mexico Project, University Church, 9 p.m. Tickets are $5, available in advance or at the door. This new sketch comedy troupe is directed by Jesse Rosenthal and features former Voices editor Mara Stankiewicz. Tonight’s show follows Off-Off’s, and there will be another performance on Saturday.

Saturday, May 8

The Dreamers, Doc Films, 6:30 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 11:30 p.m. By Bernardo Bertolucci—the same director from Wednesday’s Last Tango in Paris—this recently released film is one of the first movies in a while to be distributed commercially with a NC-17 rating. Regardless of ratings, it is supposed to be a great romantic, passionate film. I’ll be there.

Way Out West, Vision, 10 p.m.—5 a.m., 21+. Well known DJs Nick Warren and Jody Wisternoff form this progressive trance duo.

Bo Diddley at Fitzgerald’s, 9:30 p.m. This influential blues musician is still going strong.

Fountains of Wayne, Rockin’ de Mayo party, Elston Avenue at Division Street, $10, 21+.

University of Chicago New Music Ensemble, Fulton Recital Hall, 8 p.m., free.

University of Chicago Folklore Society Annual Fiddlers’ Picnic, Hutchinson Courtyard, 11 a.m.—4 p.m., free.

Monday, May 10

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, Durty Nellie’s, 8 p.m., $25.

Wednesday, May 12

Gorey Stories opens and runs through May 14. Third Floor Theater, Reynold’s Club, 8 p.m. This UT production (written by the author and artist Edward Gorey) is sure to delight fans of the macabre.