Fourth-quarter comeback sinks football

The Maroons have begun their season this year with three close-fought games against North Park, Elmhurst, and Illinois Wesleyan. The point differentials in each game were less than seven, leaving Chicago (0-3) with a fleeting taste of victory.

The team has since focused on how to overcome these close margins and capitalize on scoring opportunities.

“We have lost three very close games. The team has played very hard and with great enthusiasm, however we need to improve several sections of play,” head coach Dick Maloney said. “On offense, we need to convert 100 percent in the red zone. Defensively, we must stop the big play.”

Their most recent game was away against Illinois Wesleyan on September 24, another close match that slipped away on the big play. “At Illinois Wesleyan we were two of five in the scoring zone. Over half of their total offense was completed in three plays,” Maloney said. “During the other 50-plus plays, the defense performed very well.”

The team’s next game is away at DePauw in Indiana this Saturday. DePauw (1-1) leads the overall series 6 to 2, and Chicago has yet to defeat them on the Tigers’ home turf. “We will be traveling to DePauw to play a very good team. We need to execute better than we have in any of our three previous games and play physical football to return with a victory,” Maloney said.

Led by senior co-captains Colin Carrier and Rob Tamillow, the team is preparing rapidly for its first UAA conference game against Washington, which is two weeks from now in St. Louis. Other UAA opponents this season include Carnegie Mellon and Case, both at home.

“We look forward to playing all the UAA teams this season. With Wash U being the first on the schedule and the ‘Founder’s Cup’ game, it will get our entire focus beginning on Sunday,” Maloney said.