New website will serve University students

Oodle.com, the largest online marketplace in the Chicagoland area, recently created a website catered directly to University of Chicago students. The service, which posts combined classifieds listings from multiple sources like the Chicago Tribune, Craigslist, and eBay, now offers new features intended to meet the needs of students struggling to fill their new dorms and apartments.

The site, redesigned to incorporate pop terms like crib (rather than apartment), also offers numerous classifieds categories unavailable on its general Chicagoland-area site.

Categories like textbooks, internship opportunities, and budget cars are all aimed at students.

The site currently lists over 200 local South Side apartments and over 16,000 apartments in the Chicagoland area, as well as over 500 cars for under $500 and a section for free furniture.

For the many students without vehicles, listings can be filtered according to their distance from Hyde Park and their locations mapped using Google maps. Students can search for apartments by area in combination with other characteristics such as price or size (for examples see www.uchicago.oodle.com/maps/housing).

Oodle.com also makes it easy for students to give back their time, money, and possessions to the community with its “Give Locally” section, which allows users to access numerous non-profit organizations in the area.