STD (Stuff To Do)—10/18/10 to 10/24/10

Bollywood karaoke, sexploitation, and free February at the Art Institute.

Friday | February 19

Sing along with the voice doubles of Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta, and other Bollywood stars at the SASA karaoke night. For those unfamiliar with Bollywood numbers, there will be plenty of other South Asian songs available to belt out all night long. (5710 South Woodlawn Avenue, 8 p.m., free)

Jazz trombonist Conrad Herwig and the Latin Side All-Star Band will be performing at Symphony Center on Friday night. The band was recently nominated for a third Grammy award for its performance of “The Latin Side of Wayne Shorter.” (220 South Michigan Avenue, 8 p.m., $20)

Saturday | February 20

This Saturday, WHPK and the Film Studies Center host Pictures and Sounds, the annual multimedia showcase of live improvised soundtracks to video works. The event features various Midwestern artists, including the first Chicago performance of Columbus-based artist Mist. (Cobb 307, 8 p.m., free)

The 30th annual KSO cultural show, titled Brothers Without Borders follows the unlikely friendship of soldiers at the North and South Korean border. The show will feature traditional Korean dances as well as modern Super Junior-esque Korean pop dances. A banquet will precede the performance. (Mandel Hall, 5 p.m., $10)

Sunday | February 21

Singer-songwriter and author Patti Smith will be at the Harold Washington Library for a discussion and signing of her latest book, Just Kids. The book is a memoir of her time in New York during the 1970s and her relationship with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe. (400 South State Street, 2 p.m., free)

Monday | February 22

Internationally renowned opera singers Vivica Genaux and Joyce Di Donato will be performing in a recital as part of the Ottocento Opera Symposium. A symposium on 18th-century forms of Italian opera will be held from 1 to 5 p.m., and will honor music professor Philip Gossett. (Mandel Hall, 7 p.m., free)

After two studio albums, Jack’s Mannequin is no longer just a side project for former Something Corporate headman Andrew McMahon. Jack’s Mannequin is currently headlining the Sing for Your Supper tour to promote its third album, The Glass Passenger. (329 North Dearborn, 6 p.m., $26)

Tuesday | February 23

Don’t let the dreariness of Tuesday get you down! Instead, head over to the Art Institute, which has free admission to all its exhibits during the month of February. Be sure to check out the new Modern Wing and the new photography exhibit In the Vernacular. (111 South Michigan Avenue, all day, free)

Wednesday | February 24

Feeling disenchanted by the lack of progress in the Middle East or by the role of the United States in the conflict? See what the future holds at “How America Can Bring the Israelis and Arabs Together Toward Peace and Coexistence.” Featured speakers at the lecture include David Makovsky, director of the Project on the Middle East Peace Process at the Washington Institute, and Ghaith al-Omari, former advisor to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas. (Kent 107, 7:30 p.m., free)

Thursday | February 25

Doc Films gets risqué this quarter with its weekly Thursday night series «The Golden Age of American Sexploitation.» This week’s screening features the 1973 film Fleshpot on 42nd Street directed by Andy Milligan. The film follows Dusty, a young prostitute working in the heart of New York City. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9:30 p.m., $5)