Sports Shorts

Sullivan pulls in track’s third straight Athlete of the Week

After teammates second-year Teage O’Connor and fourth-year Adeoye Mabogunje were recognized each of the last two weeks, fourth-year Patrick Sullivan (t) earned his first UAA Athlete of the Week of the season after his performance at the North Central College Dr. Keeler Invitational.

Sullivan had been struggling most of the outdoor season, but he came back last Friday with an NCAA Division III automatic qualifying time of 3:50.35 in the 1,500-meter run. He finished third out of the 78 competitors with the third-fastest to date in D-III.

The men’s track team has now earned the award five out of the last six weeks. Sullivan now has seven in his career.

Male student-athletes recognized at banquet

The Order of the C, the nation’s longest-running men’s athletics support organization, held its 101st annual awards banquet on Tuesday night, recognizing the work of its letter winners both on and off the field.

Fourth-year cross-country and track-and-field athlete Tom Haxton earned the department’s top award, the Amos Alonzo Stagg Medal, recognizing him for having the best all-around record for athletics, scholarship, and character. Haxton has been named an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship recipient and is a four-time All-American. He also has earned UAA All-Academic honors each year he was eligible. He will wrap up his career with the Maroons at NCAA Division III Nationals, where he will be competing in the 5K and 10K events.

Sullivan received the Mary Jean Mulvaney Scholar-Athlete Award for compiling the highest third- and fourth-year grade point average and earning at least three varsity letters.

Team MVPs were also named at the banquet:

Swimming: third-year Northe Saunders

Basketball: fourth-year Scott Fisher

Wrestling: fourth-year Ryan Hlinak

Baseball: fourth-year Ben McCown

Football: fourth-year Sam Owens

Soccer: fourth-year Nate Widell

Tennis: first-year Stephane Levy

Finally, three fourth-years earned team awards for their character, leadership, dedication to the team, and athletic accomplishments. Mike Lowney earned the Joseph A. Stampf Award in men’s basketball, Nick Kocinski earned the J. Kyle Anderson Award in baseball, and Basil Alsikafi received the Max Davidson Award in tennis.