Sports Shorts 5/4/07: Maroons rake in UAA accolades

With the spring teams winding down their seasons, a couple of Maroons added to their accomplishments in 2007 by netting UAA tributes. Track first-year Claire Ray and women’s tennis first-year Marissa Lin took home the biggest honors this week with the Rookie of the Year awards for their sports. Other South Siders earning special recognition were Lin’s teammate, second-year Vindya Dayananda, along with third-year Bharath Sithian and first-year Noah Schneider from men’s tennis.

A toss of 43.91m. in the discus at conferences April 21–22 landed Ray a gold medal in the event and also helped her nail down the UAA Rookie of the Year for the outdoor season. She cleared the NCAA provisional qualifying standard of 41.50m. and was one of three individual champions for Chicago in Atlanta. Ray followed up her first-place finish by placing fifth in the hammer throw (42.13m.) and the shot put (11.72m.).

Another standout UAA performance brought home special nods for Dayananda and Lin. The pair ended the year at 14–8 and solidified their spot near the top of the league with a 3–0 effort in Cleveland. Their perfect mark at conferences led to the duo’s selection as first doubles for the All-UAA first team.

League accolades didn’t stop there for the tandem. Lin (17–7) was named Rookie of the Year, becoming the second consecutive Maroon to earn the title. With an 18–6 outing in 2007 after a 3–0 mark at Championships, Dayananda garnered selection to the All-UAA second team at second singles.

Wrapping up the kudos for the spring, Schneider and Sithian were cited for the All-UAA first team at fifth and sixth singles. Both went 2–0 at UAA, with Schneider closing the books on the year at 13–6 and Sithian registering an 11–5 record.