O-Issue 2011: Journalism on Campus

Writing your heart out has never been easier. Here’s a list of some (other) notable publications.

Chances are, once you get settled on campus you’ll occasionally be interested in what’s going on in the Administration Building, what play you should go see this weekend, where the best food is. Luckily there are campus publications to fill you in.

Of course, besides the regular newspapers you’d find on any other campus, the U of C has some rather uncommon publications as well. There are campus organizations for intellectual critics, fashionistas, future Carrie Bradshaws, and wannabe Stephen Colberts.

Although the University doesn’t have a journalism major, there is no dearth of opportunities for budding reporters, creative writers, or photographers. If you want to be the one that your friends go to for all the campus information, or if you just want to know which paper to read for what purpose, here’s the low-down.

The Chicago Weekly is the “Independent Voice of the University of Chicago,” and focuses on arts and culture of Chicago’s South Side. The weekly paper contains coverage and previews of local events, and news that doesn’t get the attention of many other organizations. Alongside the news stories are art criticisms, essays, and narratives. The coverage isn’t limited to the South Side though­—reporters frequently venture outside of the Hyde Park bubble to events all over the city. The Weekly is printed by Newcity communications, and appears with that paper inserted into it every week.

The Midway Review is a quarterly magazine of intellectual, cultural, and political commentary and criticism, founded in 2005. The magazine prides itself on being a non-partisan platform for civil discourse that spans several academic disciplines. The editorial board accepts essays from students, faculty and community members who wish to engage in the campus dialogue at the beginning of each quarter. The magazine is funded by the Student Government Finance Committee, the Evan Behrens Fund, and the Collegiate Network.

Vita Excolatur explores and plays with sexuality artfully. Not without controversy, the magazine was first published in 2004. Since then it has been featured in The New York Times for fighting against “where fun comes to die” stereotypes. Each issue comes with a theme, and accepts relevant proposals for essays, journalistic pieces, photography shoots, and poetry at the beginning of the quarter.

The Shady Dealer, the “Intentional Humor Publication of the University of Chicago,” is a campus favorite for its hilarious, satirical articles. From pieces discussing the vegetable rights activists’ outrage that Vita used a carrot in an unconventional fashion to breaking news announcing that Harold’s Chicken Shack will be the new supplier for the dining halls, The Shady Dealer is perfect for an all-nighter perusing break.

Sliced Bread, founded in 2007, is an annual magazine that publishes the material left out of other campus periodicals. Described as an outlet for any form of two dimensional art, Sliced Bread publishes all types of written and visually creative pieces: short stories, poetry, non-fiction, and dramatic texts, as well as photography, drawings, and cartoons. The magazine periodically holds writing contests and awards monetary prizes to winners.

If these publications don’t fill that hole in you your heart that you’ve reserved for a writing position, there’s still more:

The Art Journal is annual publication funded by the Department of Art History and the Division of the Humanities run by graduate students.

Blacklight Magazine began as an offshoot of the Organization of Black Students, publishing views and beliefs of black students and Hyde Park community members.

The Chicago Studies Annual Journal publishes original research conducted by undergraduate students, a part of the Chicago Studies program.

Students help run the College Website, which contains all information about campus life for students, from first years to grad students.

Counterpoint is the campus quarterly conservative magazine, touching on topics both on the quads and beyond.

Diskord is a campus website that serves as an outlet for progressive students to shed light on their causes and provide in-depth analysis on current events.

The Euphony Journal is a biannual literary magazine that publishes some work from students, but most of the content is submitted from outside the University from domestic and international authors, both professional and amature.

Hercampus.com is an online magazine that serves as a guide to campus life. The magazine is just one branch of the national organization aimed at female students.

MODA Magazine is the fashion magazine produced by the RSO of the same name. It is published twice annually and features student writers, models, designers, and photographers.

Noyes Magazine is a twice-quarterly publication targeted at the stylish student looking for the next big thing in Chicago. Each issue has a different trendy theme.

The Platypus Review is a monthly publication that is a branch of the Platypus Affiliated Society­—an international marxist leftist group that originated at the U of C.

The Triple Helix at the University of Chicago is just one branch of the international science, business, policy, ethics, and law society. Each edition is separated into two parts: half is internationally recognized papers, the other half are papers written solely by U of C members.

The University Community Service Center accepts articles that take recent national events into a local perspective as a part of its Civic Journalism program.

Now that you’ve gotten your hands dirty in the on-campus publications, you’re probably thirsty for the big time. That’s where the Chicago Careers in Journalism (CCIJ) program comes in handy. Part of the program involves meeting with the director, Kathy Anderson, who can help jazz up any writing resume. She also coordinates events throughout the year. From seasoned journalists delivering on-campus lectures to day-long workshops, CCIJ events always provide insight to the industry and usually allow for serious networking. Also available through the CCIJ program are fancy journalism and writing-specific internships waiting for U of C students.