Five Dollar book sale goes to Press

The University of Chicago Press will hold a $5 book sale, its first in three years.

Sorry, C-Shop: Dollar Shake Day isn’t the only deal on campus.

The University of Chicago Press book sale, which offers over 10,000 books for as low as five dollars apiece, will return this year after a three-year hiatus.

The Press hasn’t held a book sale since 2008, when swarms of anxious shoppers turned out to peruse editions of The Chicago Manual of Style and purchase copies of Allan Meltzer’s A History of the Federal Reserve, Volume 1 at bargain prices.

That sale attracted roughly 1,000 visitors and sold thousands of books, according to University of Chicago Press Promotions Manager Liz Fischer. She said the sale is a way for the Press to connect with the rest of the University community and to clear out some of their stock.

The selection of books spans a variety of genres and fields, from scholarly works to more popular titles, though the event’s size keeps it from occurring more regularly; the 2008 sale was the first in 25 years.

“The Great Chicago Book Sale” will be held October 13 and 14 in the Assembly Hall of International House. Doors will be open to the public from 1 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, but the Press is allowing those with a University ID to enter Thursday morning between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m.