South Siders start off better than they finished

UChicago is ranked second in a preseason poll just released by Women’s DIII News. Amherst, the defending champion, took the top spot in the preseason poll. Chicago returns all five starters from a squad that won its final 18 regular season games. One of those returners is fourth-year Taylor Simpson, who was named Preseason Player of the Year. Simpson led the team with an average of 14.3 points and 10.2 rebounds per game last year, and in UAA play Simpson’s averages increased to 16.3 and 11.1, respectively.

Fourth-year Meghan Herrick, the emotional lynchpin of the team, joined Simpson on the preseason All-America Team as an Honorable Mention pick. Herrick’s older sister, fourth-year Morgan Herrick, transferred to Chicago last season from Drake and formed a formidable high-low duo with Simpson. In addition to the five returning starters, the team will add NYU transfer Maggie Eli, a scoring dynamo who was second in the UAA in scoring last year. The Maroons will also add several strong first-years, many of whom could see playing time off the bench, according to Meghan Herrick.

The Maroons will kick off their season on November 18 against Fontbonne University.