Booth grads see increase in job offers

A majority of this year’s graduating class at the Booth School of Business has secured job offers.
+
Jamie Manley

More than two-thirds of the Booth School of Business’s graduating class has already secured post-graduate job offers, according to an administrator there.

Julie Morton, Associate Dean of Career Services and Corporate Relations at Booth, said that the strong showing by the school’s recent graduates indicates a robust improvement in the job market, among other things.

“The two-thirds is significantly ahead of where we were last year at this time, which is a statement about the overall market for freshly-minted MBA talent; the experience, strength, and job search readiness of our students; and the school’s ongoing efforts to open new employer doors,” Morton wrote in an e-mail.

There was also a 13-percent increase in scheduled on-campus interviews at Booth. Talking to Bloomberg Businessweek earlier this month, Morton reported a jump in interviews for internships at consulting firms, investment management firms, and marketing firms.

However, Morton cautioned that scheduled interviews do not necessarily mean that job offers will increase.

“While scheduled interviews do not correlate precisely to offers or hires, it’s a good indicator of a firm’s appetite,” said. “Early indicators are good. Companies are pleased with candidate quality and preparedness.”

Morton attributes the success to extended utilization of alumni networks and expansion of services provided through the second-year on-campus recruiting process.

“Booth has many employer development ‘feet on the street,’ with folks on the ground in Chicago, London, and Hong Kong,” she said.

Olga Serhiyevich, a second-year MBA student at Booth, said that she can tell that Booth has put in effort to help students get jobs, and that the number of job offers has seemed particularly promising in the midst of economic uncertainty.

“With career prospects being so dependent on the volatility of the business cycle, it can be tough to get any job at all,” Serhiyevich said.