Sports Shorts

Mabogunje earns third UAA Athlete of the Week award of season

Each time fourth-year Adeoye Mabogunje (t) improves on his triple jump distance, the UAA seems to recognize him, as they did for the third time this outdoor season by naming him this week’s UAA Athlete of the Week on Wednesday. This week, the conference awarded him for his fourth-place finish of 15.01 meters in the May 8 University of Wisconsin Twilight Invitational. The distance surpassed the NCAA’s automatic qualifying mark for the May 27-29 NCAA Division III Championships in Decatur, Illinois.

Mabogunje’s first two awards came on April 14 and 21 with marks of 14.76 and 14.82 meters. He has now been named UAA Player of the Week 11 times in his

career.

WAA hands out awards at centennial banquet

Fourth-year track and field athlete Valerie Anderson was named the recipient of the Gertrude Dudley Medal, which recognizes one outstanding fourth-year athlete for her leadership and skill in athletics, on Tuesday at the Women’s Athletic Association’s (WAA) annual spring awards banquet.

Anderson has stepped up her personal performance this year, earning All-American status in the weight throw at this year’s NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championship. She has earned UAA All-Academic awards each of the three years she has been eligible, and she has also won UAA individual championships four times. At this year’s UAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship, she won the hammer throw competition (44.22 meters), finished third in the discus (34.04), and sixth in the shot put (10.82).

Fourth-year soccer forward Courtney Hardie earned the Mary Jean Mulvaney Scholar-Athlete Award for compiling the highest third- and fourth-year grade point average and earning at least three varsity letters.

Edith Ballwebber Awards were also handed out, recognizing one female athlete in each class that contributed to the total efforts of the athletic program. Fourth-year softball player Ariana Gadd, third-year cross country and track and field athlete Erin Steiner, second-year volleyball player Katie Meinhover, and first-year basketball point guard Korry Schwanz each received the honor.

Finally, team MVPs were named at the banquet:

Basketball: fourth-year Angel Korer

Cross country and outdoor track: Steiner

Softball: second-year Hannah Roberts

Tennis: third-year Katie Dulmage

Swimming: third-year Emily Testa

Soccer: second-year Renee Neuner

Volleyball: second-year Erica Pettke

Indoor track: Anderson

WAA, founded in 1904, is the nation’s oldest collegiate women’s varsity letter winner group.