César Chávez remembered by MEChA

The Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA) is hosting a series of events this week to commemorate César Chávez, the labor leader who founded the United Farm Workers (UFW).

“We hope to increase awareness of Latino issues and politics and to promote our culture,” said Juliana García-Uribe, co-chair of MEChA. “We also hope that people will learn more about our culture and will want to know more about who we are and what our roots are.”

The events begin tonight at 6 p.m. when the co-founder of UFW, Dolores Huerta, will speak about current immigration issues in the International House.

“She was basically César Chávez’s right hand during the movement,” García-Uribe said.

On Wednesday night at 8, MEChA is sponsoring a poetry slam titled “Expressions of Resistance” at the C-Shop. There will be a screening of “Defying the Crown from a Force More Powerful: A Century of Nonviolent Conflict” on Thursday night at 7 at 924 East 57th Street.

The week’s events will close with a keynote speech by Eliseo Medina, the executive vice-president of the Service Employees International Union. Medina, García-Uribe said, “was sent to Chicago to organize the workers in Chicago. He extended the movement here to the Midwest.” Medina’s speech will take place in the International House on Friday at 6 p.m.