Five for Friday

Taking a look at the week’s key headlines.

Men’s soccer hopes to go back-to-back in the UAA 

The Maroons followed their UAA opening game win against Carnegie Mellon with a loss to Emory. After bouncing back from that loss with a victory over Rochester they fell to Case Western. It seems Chicago is due a win against NYU—currently the worst team in the conference—today. But with only three regular season games left, and an NCAA bid still on the line, a win today would be meaningless unless the Maroons can follow it up with a win over Brandeis on Sunday.

Women’s cross country set for NYU, Wash U showdown 

Chicago was ranked sixth in the nation and the top team in the UAA when they last competed on October 19. Since then, they have dropped to ninth place in the country, one spot behind NYU and one spot ahead of Wash U, neither of which has competed in that time either. What exactly the rationale was behind that shift in the rankings is unclear, perhaps unsurprisingly given the NCAA’s track record. What is clear is that this weekend’s UAA Championship is as fiercely contested as it has ever been. Don’t count the Maroons out.

Volleyball set for last invitational before conference championship 

The South Siders play their final matches before next weekend’s UAA Championship today and tomorrow. No. 19 Chicago can be confident looking at the lineup awaiting them at the Benedictine tournament. The Maroons will face North Central, Concordia Chicago, Carthage, and DePauw. DePauw could pose something of a threat—setter Faith Rolwes, ranked in the top 10 in the nation in assists per set, in particular has had an impressive season—but this could be an enjoyable weekend for the Maroons, as they hope to gain some momentum heading into conference.

Football looks for seventh win in UAA opener 

After starting 4–0 the South Siders have lost two of their last three games as competition has drastically improved. Special teams have struggled this season: two blocked punts contributed to the loss against Rhodes, and missed extra points have haunted Chicago throughout the last four games. However, they now have the opportunity to gain some ground, as Case (3–3) and Carnegie (3–4) stand in the path of the Maroons, who have a good shot to enter their final regular season game against Wash U (5–2) with a record of 7–2.

Women’s soccer streaking into final stretch 

The Maroon squad is currently in one of this season’s upward swings — the last one being when women’s soccer won four straight games from September 15th to 29th and proceeded to go winless until October 18th. Since then, though, Chicago (10–3–2) has won three straight games but has only three games remaining against NYU (7–5–3), Brandeis (9–5–1), and Wash U (14–1). Defense has been the South Siders’ forte this year, allowing only .63 goals per game in their last eight, but the offense has picked up as of late, and that’s what the Maroons will need more of to finish the season with an exclamation point.