Crime Report: January 8-14

This is a series the Maroon publishes summarizing instances of campus crime. Each week details a few notable crimes, in addition to keeping a running count from January 1. The focus is on crimes within the UCPD patrol area, which runs from East 37th to 65th Streets and South Cottage Grove to Lake Shore Drive.

Here are this week’s notables:

• January 8, 5709 South Ellis Avenue (Snell)—Between 3:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. an unknown person entered dorm rooms and took four laptop computers.
  • January 10,  5836 South Greenwood Avenue (Haskell Hall), 7:05 p.m.—An individual became ill after consuming alcoholic drinks and was transported to the hospital by CFD EMS.
  • January 11, 1307 East 60th Street (New Graduate Residence Hall), 12:30 p.m.—A resident noticed an electrical fire in the kitchen range hood and extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher.
  •  January 12, 5700 South Maryland Avenue, 5 p.m.—An unknown male forcibly took a cell phone from a woman who was walking on the sidewalk and then fled on foot.
  • January 12, University Avenue between 53rd Street and 54th Street, 11:10 p.m.—An unknown male implied he had a weapon and took a wallet from a man who was walking on the sidewalk off campus. The report was delayed and is now a CPD case.