Alum returns as VP for finance and admin

Rowan Miranda will leave the University of Michigan to join the University in March.

University of Michigan administrator Rowan Miranda has been appointed as the new senior associate vice president for finance and administration and treasurer of UChicago, the University announced last week. Miranda will lead the central financial and treasury operations of the University.

Miranda has served as the associate vice president for finance at the University of Michigan, where he has been an adjunct professor since 2009. He will start in his new role this March.

He will oversee financial processes like accounting, purchasing, and payroll management. When asked to describe his role, Miranda said in an e-mail: “Like other administrative leaders, my role will be to support the work of our faculty and students, and help sustain the long-term eminence of the University.”

Miranda has held a number of faculty appointments in the past and also has business experience. Before his time at Michigan, Miranda was an executive partner at the consulting firm Accenture, according to a University press release.

Not unfamiliar to the University, he obtained his M.A. and a Ph.D. in 1992 in public policy analysis from the Harris School.

“I consider it an honor to come back to a university that has been so critical in my development as a professional, [as] a teacher, and as a person,” Miranda said. “What makes the University of Chicago so special to me is the intellectual life on campus and the intensity of focus on advancing knowledge.”