New Cabinet position opens

Student Government (SG) has created a new Cabinet position, Director of Communications, according an e-mail sent to students by SG President and fourth-year Michael McCown on Monday.

The role of the Director of Communications will be to manage SG’s public relations and communications, developing a “strategic marketing plan” for SG. The Director of Communications will also handle SG’s publications, website, and advertisements.

“The idea behind this position is that we are functioning at capacity in terms of that the Cabinet has a lot of projects,” McCown told the Maroon. “The problem we’re increasingly running into is communicating those projects to the student community.”

McCown said that a student will be appointed by the current Cabinet before the end of the quarter, with the hope that this person will also reapply for the position for the 2014–2015 school year.

This is not the first time that the Cabinet has been expanded. McCown noted that “there’s already precedent around the Cabinet being larger than it is,” as last year, SG’s Cabinet included a Chief of Staff position for the first time.