Tourre, former Goldman trader, will not teach undergrads, Univ. says

He was scheduled to teach the honors section of Elements of Economic Analysis 3 this spring.

Economics Ph.D. student Fabrice Tourre, a former Goldman Sachs trader found liable for fraud, will no longer be teaching undergraduate economics this spring.

“As preparations continue for the spring quarter, Fabrice Tourre will no longer be assigned as an instructor for Honors Elements of Economic Analysis in the College. Instead he will be able to fulfill the teaching requirements for his Ph.D. program through opportunities in his department’s graduate-level curriculum,” University spokesperson Jeremy Manier said in an e-mail.

According to the economics department’s graduate program policy, “pedagogical training is a component of our doctoral education and for all students beginning in the autumn quarter of 2007 and later, the degree program requires compensated service equivalent to five appropriate teaching assistantships.”

Manier declined to comment on what prompted the decision or offer further details. On the courses website and on Time Schedules, Tourre’s name has been removed from the course listing, and the instructor is listed as “pending.”

Second-year Allan Zhang bid for the section and was disappointed that Tourre would no longer be teaching the honors section of the macroeconomics course.

“Macro, I feel, at the very least at the U of C, depends on who’s teaching it, so I was hoping that with Fabrice Tourre, it would be different than with other people in the past. I guess I was hoping that his experience in the private sector and [investment] banking would add something to the class,” he said.

Despite the change, Zhang still plans to enroll in the honors section.

“I guess it depends on who the econ department picks to fill the spot, to see if it’s a net gain or a net loss,” he said. “Having Fabrice Tourre is a plus, but honors econ is still honors econ.”