Sports Shorts: April 29, 2005

UAA honors Oyenuga as Athlete of the Week

Fourth-year jumper Seyi Oyenuga, whose individual point score matched the team total of seventh-place NYU at last weekend’s UAAs, was recognized by the conference yesterday as the men’s Most Outstanding Performer in field events.

Oyenuga earned five top-three finishes on the day, including three individual and two relay. His triple jump (13.46 meters) and high jump (1.86) marks won the two events, while his 6.75-meter long jump netted him third. He also ran in two second-place relays at 400- and 1600-meters.

The team’s leading point scorer, Oyenuga led the team to a third-place overall finish.

—Sean Ahmed

Win some, lose some for softball at Hope

Against a quality squad on the road, softball’s hopes for a sweep were not realized.

The Maroons (25-8) fell behind early and dropped the nightcap of a doubleheader against Hope (26-8) at Holland 4-3 Tuesday. Chicago won the opener 7-2 behind another stellar pitching performance from third-year righty Hannah Roberts.

First-year left fielder Dominique Marshall paced the offense in the first game, going three-for-four with three runs scored and two RBI, both knocked in on her third homer of the season in the fifth. Chicago had tallied a run in each of the past three innings. It was more than enough cushion for Roberts, who struck out eight over five scoreless innings.

Things got off on the right foot in the second game, the Maroons capitalized on an error by Hope third-year pitcher Rebecca Whitman (12-2) to score two unearned runs in the top of the first. However, the home team struck back with a three-run homer in the bottom of the frame, and plated a fourth run in the fourth against second-year pitcher Petra Wade (9-3).

Chicago threatened to tie things up in the top of the seventh, putting runners on second and third with one out, but third-year first baseman Rachel Cohen’s RBI sacrifice fly turned into a game-ending double play when Hope caught third-year third baseman Kayti Fuhr taking too big a lead. Fuhr was ruled safe on the play, but the Flying Dutch won the appeal, ending the Maroon rally.

—Joe Katz