Youthful swimmers propel Chicago to men’s, women’s victories

This weekend, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams brought home victories at the Phoenix Fall Classic.

There’s no place like home.

At home at Phoenix Fall Classic this weekend, the Maroons came out victorious with 957 points for the women and 1,085 for the men.

On the women’s side, Hillsdale came in second to Chicago with 630 points, while Lake Forest came in third with 438.

First-year Melissa Bischoff led the Maroons with what would have been an impressive day for a veteran, let alone for a rookie. She shattered both a pool and a school record in the 100-yard backstroke. The victory qualified her to NCAA Championships at the end of the season. She swam a 55.79, 0.37 seconds faster than the school record and 0.34 seconds faster than the pool record.

A series of relay victories brought home the win for the women’s squad. Bischoff was a part of the first-place 400-yard medley relay team, alongside second-year Maya Scheidl, fourth-year Jenny Hill, and second-year Abby Erdmann. The same group also won the 200-yard medley relay. Erdmann also swam away with a victory in the 100-yard butterfly.

The 400-yard freestyle relay was captured by Scheidl, second-year Alison Wall, second-year Jen Law, and Hill.

Hill also earned first in the 200-yard breaststroke while Wall captured first in the 200-yard freestyle. Second-year Megan Wall got a victory in the 400-yard IM.

“Hands down, the best part for me was the support from my teammates throughout the entire meet,” Law said. “Whether one race didn’t go as well as expected or if someone swam particularly fast, everybody was on their feet cheering and supporting one another the whole time. There’s honestly nothing better than seeing and hearing that right before you dive in for a race. And that level of support absolutely contributed to the overall success of our team this past weekend.”

On the men’s side, Lake Forest came in second with 514 points, and Iowa Lakes dove into third with 439 points. Chicago more than doubled the second-place team’s score as they walked away for the win.

Fourth-year diver Matt Staab continued his dominant campaign with a first-place finish in the three-meter dive. Two Maroons followed Staab—first-year Dean Boures and fourth-year Kevin Steffes finished second and third, respectively.

The 400-yard freestyle relay was won by the Chicago squad of second-year Mantim Lee, third-year Thomas Meek, second-year Jonathan Simoneau, and third-year Matthew Veldman. Meek went on to win the 50-yard freestyle, while Simoneau and Veldman won the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, respectively.

The meet marked the last meet of the quarter. The next Chicago competition is the Chicago Classic on January 9 at the Ratner Athletic Center.