The Sketch

Arts, Briefly.

Tonight Ani Cordero and her band will present an intimate program based on her album Recordar: Latin American Songs of Love and Protest, which gives new life to classic Latin American songs from the 1930s–1970s in the hopes of sharing the influential music with new generations and ethnicities. This album focuses on the work of the Latin folk musicians who once inspired social change and promises to provide an evening of music that may seem fresh but has a long history.

Friday, February 27, International House, Assembly Hall, 8–9 p.m., free for students or $15 general admission

This weekend University Theater will be presenting Cowboy Mouth by Sam Shepard and Patti Smith. Directed by Gwendolyn Wiegold, the play is a story written by lovers about lovers (and for lovers?) that examines the effects of the American Dream. The story follows two artists living in a grungy ’70s hotel looking for something real in a dream world built of dead French poets, vagabonds, and rock-and-roll gods but haunted by the lobster man, whom the two are finally able to confront.

Friday, February 27 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, February 28 at 2 and 7 p.m., Logan Center’s Theater West, $6 in advance or $8 at the door

This past week, posters advertising the 35th annual Korean Students Organization (KSO) flooded the walls of campus dining halls and dorms. This year’s show is an original play called Saving Sargent Lee written by Chanwool Kim and Noah Lee who are also directing the show. It follows the story of the titular Korean student, who returns to the University of Chicago after spending two years serving in the South Korean army and quickly falls in love with a female student he meets. However, she is not interested, prompting him to lament, “Why do girls hate me?” as seen on the posters for the event. The play is broken up by singing and dancing—ranging from traditional Korean fan dance to more modern K-pop—and includes dinner with the price of admission.

Saturday, February 28, dinner at 6:30 p.m., Hutchinson Commons, show at 8 p.m., Mandel Hall, $10 in advance or $12 at the door.

The avant-garde, by definition, needs to be at the forefront of an art form, experimenting with styles and techniques that the mainstream won’t adopt until years into the future. It is fitting then that respected avant-garde filmmaker Ernie Gehr embraced the switch from physical film to digital recording way back in 2001, when the vast majority of his peers were still in denial of the impending switch. It was a huge leap, given that he had been working with film since the 1960s, but the move has likely paid off. This evening, Gehr will be coming to showcase several short films he has shot digitally over the last few years.

Friday, February 27, Logan Center, Room 201, free