Giving Tree clothes, feeds the homeless and hungry this week

Before you throw away leftovers from your tray in a dining hall, pause for a minute and remember that this week, November 14-20, is National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

The Giving Tree, an RSO on campus, is encouraging students with extra meal points and overflowing wardrobes to donate to its food and clothing drive. Donation boxes can be found in dorms across campus, including Max Palevsky, Shoreland, Breckinridge, Burton-Judson, and Pierce.

The Giving Tree is also hosting a series of events, including a panel on Homelessness and Sexual Assault, presented in conjunction with South Side Sexual Assault and Violence Educators, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 16 in Cobb 303.

Thursday features another panel discussion, this time on the escalating political and humanitarian crisis in Darfur, a conflict-ridden region in Sudan, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Ida Noyes Library. Among the panelists present will be representatives from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Physicians for Human Rights, and the Darfur Peace and Development. The discussion will come with a free dinner catered by the Nile Restaurant.

And finally, Japanese anime fans may enjoy a screening of Satoshi Kon’s Tokyo Godfathers on Friday from 6:30-8:30 p.m., in Harper 130. The film traces the lives of three homeless people after they find a baby girl at a garbage dump on Christmas Eve, and is based on the John Ford western 3 Godfathers.