SCC targets the Reg to soothe stressed students

The Student Care Center (SCC) and the Peer Health Educators organized a de-stress fest on Wednesday, November 18, which featured the usual leaflets and granola bars as well as a few new additions. If you missed the free chair massages given in the Reg, they will be available in the Reynolds Club on the Sunday preceding finals week, along with the quarterly midnight pancake breakfast in Hutch Commons.

Thanks to Noctis Sero, a campus organization promoting a healthy nightlife made possible by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, the SCC was able to hire professional masseuses from Chicago Massage Professionals for the event. The masseuses set up three chairs in the Reg lobby and gave free massages from 7-9 p.m.

Kelly Carameli, a health educator at SCC, remarked that the event was popular among stressed-out students, as students queued to get a massage. In addition to the granola bars and stickers at a table set up in the Reg lobby, students were invited to participate in art therapy by decorating a scroll of paper with positive messages and bright colors. Carameli said the scroll will be posted in the SCC as a way of providing student advice to students.

Noctis Sero is also sponsoring an event this Saturday, November 20, at Uncle Joe’s Coffee Shop. “Game Night” features billiards, electronic darts, foosball, air hockey, and the popular “Dance Dance Revolution,” where students are invited to compete four-on-four. A free travel mug will be presented to the first 200 students who attend the event.