Student Government announces a new vacancy in its Executive Committee

“It is critical that we fill this position before the quarter ends so that the new liaison can be on-board and ready to represent the undergraduate student body strongly come Winter Quarter.”

On November 30, Student Government (SG) announced that a position on its Executive Committee, the Undergraduate Liaison to the Board of Trustees, is now vacant.

The vacancy comes after third-year Andrew Young’s resignation on November 27. As liaison, Young was responsible for representing the student body to the Board of Trustees and working to get students involved with the Board. Young will be resigning to pursue an internship with Morgan Stanley during the academic year.

“Since I was elected, it has been a privilege to serve the undergraduate population at the University of Chicago…I have accepted an internship for the coming quarters that asks me to devote more of my time than will reasonably allow for me to balance with my current commitment as Undergraduate Liaison. I soundly believe achieving my career goals post-graduation is incumbent upon me committing fully to this internship,” Young said in an official statement of resignation.

In an e-mail to College Council, second-year Eric Holmberg, chair of College Council, encouraged class representatives to reach out to anybody who might be interested in the position.

“It is critical that we fill this position before the quarter ends so that the new liaison can be on-board and ready to represent the undergraduate student body strongly come winter quarter….We have already received three applications, and I anticipate a few more will be submitted as we approach the deadline tonight at midnight,” Holmberg said in the e-mail.

SG also announced it will be accepting applications for the position of Community and Government Liaison, which has been vacant since third-year Alvina “Nina” Katemauswa resigned on September 13. The Community and Government Liaison “represents the student body to members of the community, and works to get students more involved in Hyde Park, Woodlawn, and the South Side,” according to SG’s website.

SG will be accepting applications for the Undergraduate Liaison to the Board of Trustees until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 30. SG will also be accepting applications for the position of Community and Government Liaison through Wednesday, December 2.