Voices STD (Stuff to Do) 1-7-05

Friday, January 7

If you’re lucky and don’t have any classes, head to Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art. This museum says, “Hey, you don’t have to be trained to showcase your work here.” Found Magazine’s exhibit opens Friday and includes—you guessed it—found items, like notes and photos. Since we had such a good time reading old notes when back home for break, we have a feeling voyeuristic note reading is pretty pleasurable too. (Open 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., 756 North Milwaukee)

Zach Braff’s directorial debut Garden State is just as good as that Frou Frou song in the trailer that you obsessed over, if not better. So, what are you waiting for—go see it at Doc! (7, 9, 11 p.m., $4, Max Palevsky Cinema)

Infected Mushroom, purveyor of catchy and exciting psychedelic techno that is well known around the world, headlines at Sound-Bar, with DJ Demi and Johnny Chaos opening. If you go to their website (http://www.sound-bar.com), you can RSVP for their events and actually get in free before 11 p.m. Otherwise, it’s $10 in advance and $20 at the door. Check out their new eatery next door. (226 West Ontario)

Saturday, January 8

Go to the Goodman Theatre for the opening night of the Tony and Pulitzer-prize winning I Am My Own Wife. Doug Wright’s play, which just finished its run on Broadway, tells the story of Holocaust survivor and transvestite Charlotte von Mahlsdorf. ($40-52, 8 p.m., 170 North Dearborn)

Sunday, January 9

The Abbey Pub features traditional Irish music sessions every Sunday. Talk about Old World atmosphere. While you’re sitting with your prime rib and Guinness in the dark stone dining room, expect between two and eight fiddle, harp, and guitar players to wander on and off the tiny stage. Soccer (football) is usually on the telly. (8 p.m., 3420 West Grace at Elston)

Monday, January 10

Is it Martin Luther King Jr. Day already? Nay, it is the beginning of an entire MLK Week on campus. Festivities begin with a film and discussion today, culminating on January 17 with Kweisi Mfume’s keynote address at Rockefeller. More information at http://mlk.uchicago.edu.

Head to the Hideout, our favorite place to find older boyfriends, and make a donation towards tsunami relief. This event includes a performance by Freakwater as well as a silent auction. Said auction apparently includes banana pudding by Thursday’s resident performer Kelly Hogan—tasty! All proceeds will go to Unicef, Americares, and Mercy Corps. (7 p.m., 21+, 1354 West Wabansia)

Tuesday, January 11

Remember when you applied to college? The sleepless nights? The panic attacks? Relive your glory days by calling admitted students at the PSAC Phone-a-thon. Chat, schmooze, and brag about how much reading you do. (6 to 8 p.m., Harper 186)

Wednesday, January 12

As part of Martin Luther King week, International House will be hosting a panel discussion Realizing the Dream: Perspectives on Equality and Civil Rights. The panelists, including Professors Bertram Cohler and Mae Ngai will explore the implications of Martin Luther King Jr.’s message on other struggles for equality. (6 to 8 p.m.)

OK, you wimps, it’s time to go outside and face the cold. As a preview of the campus-wide madness that is to come, Kuviasungnerk and Kangeiko features a pre-festival Open Skate Night on the Midway. Hot drinks and cookies, free skate rental, disco tunes and lights, and a giant ice sculpture. (9 to 11 p.m.)

Thursday, January 13

Jeffrey Eugenides, author of The Virgin Suicides and more recently the extremely well received Middlesex, will be at the Abbey Pub along with National Jewish Book award-winning author Gary Shteyngart. Though free, we recommend making reservations through Nextbook’s website: http:/www.nextbook.org (7:30 p.m., 3420 W Grace)