Body Recovered From Lake Michigan Identified as Missing Medical Student

Police had initially been unable to identify Ambrose Monye’s body due to the time it had spent in the lake.

A body recovered from Lake Michigan on Sunday was identified today as missing 28-year-old medical student Ambrose Monye. Police had initially been unable to identify the body that washed up on Promontory Point last Sunday due to the time it had spent in the lake.

Monye worked at Jackson Park Hospital and frequented Hyde Park and Crerar Library. He had last been seen on April 22 walking toward Crerar on the 5700 block of South Ellis Avenue. His death is under investigation, a police spokesperson told Foxnews.com.

Monye’s family told Foxnews.com that Monye was only weeks away from graduation when he disappeared, and had already bought his cap and gown. His brother Joseph Monye, who worked with Monye at Jackson Park Hospital, told the Chicago Tribune that there was no reason to think that anything was unusual in his brother’s life.

Monye’s family had offered a $7,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, and Joseph led a search party of medical students across the South Side the Sunday before last, according to the Hyde Park Herald. Monye studied medicine at a university in Guadalajara, Mexico. He was in Chicago for clinical rotations at Jackson Park Hospital.