University Hosts “Hamilton” Lectures, Offers Subsidized Tickets

Professors will lecture on ambition, envy, and America’s first Treasury Secretary.

Fans of Hamilton should not throw away their shot to win a heavily subsidized ticket to the hit Broadway musical’s Chicago run. A chance to win the tickets will be offered at a series of lectures on the musical itself.

On October 13, Martha Nussbaum, Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor of Law, and William Baude, Neubauer Family Assistant Professor of Law, will present lectures that tie the story of America’s first Treasury secretary to broader themes. The first will discuss the difference between envy and ambition in the light of Alexander Hamilton’s fatal duel with his political rival Aaron Burr, and the second will relate the musical’s theme of ambition to America’s constitutional framework.

Allison Lacroix, Fairfax M. Cone Distinguished Service Professor, and Ken Warren, Robert Newton Reid Professor of Law, will give another joint lecture on the musical on October 16. In May, Lacroix wrote in the New Rambler Review that Hamilton is a “Gesamtkunstwerk, in which different forms are combined into a single unified whole.” She is also, unabashedly, a fan.

“First things first: (1) Yes, it is brilliant,” Lacroix wrote.

Students can only attend one of the two lectures. Any student that does will be entered to win a $25 ticket to Hamilton on October 20 (online tickets for that date currently sell for more than $300). An online reservation is required to attend the lectures. Reservations open Wednesday, October 5, at noon.