Student Group Collected 150 Books for Women Prisoners

Students Working Against Prisons partnered with Chicago Books to Women in Prison for the project.

Students Working Against Prisons (SWAP) collected over 150 books along with $100 in donations at the end of a recently conducted book drive.

In partnership with the Chicago Books to Women in Prison (BWP) organization, SWAP will ship the collected books to women in prisons nationwide.

Anna Nathanson, a fourth-year undergraduate who staffed SWAP's table in Reynold's Club, expressed gratitude, thanking those who donated books, money, and time to the drive.

Throughout the remainder of this year however, SWAP will be dedicated to organizing additional events to further their cause, including a film screening of 13th, a documentary drawing a connection between the abolition of slavery in the U.S. and today’s disproportionate incarceration of African Americans.

In addition, there will be a workshop on alternatives to calling the police. According to SWAP, involving the police can potentially escalate a situation, resulting in police brutality or prisoner maltreatment once the accused is incarcerated. Being able to avoid the potential effects of calling the police will be the focal point of the workshop. 

SWAP meets weekly on Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Center for Identity and Inclusion.