Voices STD (Stuff to Do)

Friday, January 28

Thank God someone found a way to film Britney Spears that isn’t Crossroads. That’s right—University of Chicago Cinema and Media Studies professor and filmmaker Judy Hoffman followed our pal Britney during the Dream Within a Dream Tour. What results is ‘Stages’—Three Days in Mexico. (7 p.m., International House, Coulter Room)

Come to Campus Gym Night, another ridiculously wholesome weekend evening event sponsored by Noctis Sero. Kickboxing, Pilates, dodgeball, inner tube water polo, Dance Dance Revolution, and swimming are scheduled throughout the night. Free water bottle to the first 200 attendees. Our plea to the people spending the Noctis Sero grant: not on the weekend. But that might be the point. (7-10 p.m., free, Ratner Athletics Center)

This year’s Quadrangle Club Reveals presents A Mob Musical, written by Andy Austin and Ted Cohen. Guest appearances include mystery novelist Sarah Paretsky, Judge Zegal, and our own president Don Michael Randel. Professor Lee Behnke promises it will be “a technical extravaganza.” (8 p.m., $10 for students, Quadrangle Club)

Day two of the Singapore Film Festival, Tales from a Little Red Dot, brings one of Singapore’s highest grossing movies, I Not Stupid, about three children dealing with Singapore’s rigorous education system. (7 p.m., Film Studies Center)

The boys of Delta Upsilon are throwing their Heaven and Hell Party. Both angels and demons welcome. (Party time, $5 with ID, 5714 South Woodlawn)

The Music Box’s midnight movie tonight is South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. (Midnight, $8, 3733 North Southport)

Saturday, January 29

The Oriental Institute opens its new exhibit, Empires in the Fertile Crescent: Ancient Assyria, Anatolia, and Israel. In the spirit of reviving ancient arts processes, local artists will be there to write your name in Luwian hieroglyphs. Stop by in the afternoon for music, dance, and a lecture. (10 a.m.-6 p.m., free, Oriental Institute)

It’s Royston Tan day at the Singapore Film Festival. At 1:30, see his award-winning 15, which focuses on Singapore’s troubled youth. At 3:15, it’s the world premiere screening of his latest short film, Absentee. At 3:30, Royston Tan shares his views on filmmaking and social change. (BSLC 155)

If you enjoyed the wondrous being that is Mark Ruffalo in 13 Going on 30—and you should, by the way—you might want to check him out at Doc tonight in the adult drama We Don’t Live Here Anymore, which is being projected in lieu of The Brown Bunny tonight. The film, based on Andre Dubus stories, tracks two college professors through their wife swapping and the toll this takes on their respective marriages. (7, 9, 11 p.m., $4, Max Palevsky Cinema)

The University Symphony Orchestra heads to Rome (figuratively, people) with Berlioz’s Roman Carnival Overture, Bizet’s Roma, and Respighi’s The Pines of Rome. (8 p.m., $5, Mandel Hall)

Japanese-American composer Atua Tanaka tracks electrical activity in his forearm with a computer, allowing his gestures to articulate music and images in his performance Corporeal. (9 p.m., free, The Renaissance Society)

Catch Chicago garage pop band the M’s at the Empty Bottle tonight. (10 p.m., $10, 1035 North Western, 21+)

Sunday, January 30

Nine campus dance organizations come together for The Ultimate Dance Show. (5 p.m., $10 at the door, Mandel Hall)

Chicago bikers should head to the Handlebar for Bike ‘N Sled. Bicycle enthusiasts from all over Chicagoland will then head to Soldier Field for some hot sledding action. This event is part of Chicago Bikewinter. For more information, check out their website at http://www.bikewinter.org. (7 p.m., 2311 West North)

The Bronzeville Jazz Festival continues at the HotHouse, with a performance by Malachi Thompson’s African Brass (7 p.m., $10 for students, 31 East Balbo, 21+)

Tuesday, February 1

Chicago author and NPR contributor Amy Krouse Rosenthal will be reading and signing her memoir, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, at Quimby’s bookstore. You may have already happened upon a copy of said encyclopedia, as it will have been scattered around this fine city from January 25 until February 1. So, if you think you’re reading an encyclopedia while pooping—only to realize there are entries for “doing something,” “busy,” or “15 minutes”—well, chances are you’ve happened upon it. (7 p.m., 1854 West North)

Wednesday, February 2

Pop-punk band Bowling for Soup is playing at the House of Blues. American Hi-Fi and others open. (6 p.m., $11, 329 North Dearborn)

Douglas Coupland, author of Generation X, will be at the Lincoln Park Borders to discuss and sign his new book, Eleanor Rigby. (7:30 p.m., 2817 North Clark)

Thursday, February 3

The Noontime Concert Series features the Jazz X-tet. (12:15 p.m., Fulton Recital Hall)