On and Around Campus: 2/3-2/6

The Hyde Park–Kenwood Community Conference will host the candidates for 4th Ward Alderman for a Q & A session. Residents from throughout the Ward are invited to attend.

February 3, 2017

Frames of Resistance: Vostell and Friends in 16mm

7–8:30 p.m., Logan Center for the Arts 

This screening event will feature 16mm films by Wolf Vostell and other Fluxus filmmakers. Frames of Resistance explores these artists’ use of film as political interventions into the built environment and the media landscape. The selection of films to be screened by Vostell were proposed by the artist to be shown during his visit to the MCA in January 1970 when he supervised the production of Concrete Traffic—including Sun in Your Head (1963) and Starfighter (1967). Presented by UChicago Arts, the Department of Cinema and Media Studies, and the Film Studies Center.

Containment: Roundtable Discussion

3–5p.m., Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society

Following the February 2 screening of Containment, the Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, in partnership with the Arts, Science, and Culture Initiative and the Film Studies Center, will host a roundtable discussion with filmmakers Peter Galison, a Pellegrino University Professor of the History of Science and of Physics at Harvard University, and Robb Moss, Professor and Chair of the Department of Visual and Environmental Studies at Harvard University; D. N. Rodowick, Glen A. Lloyd Distinguished Service Professor, Departments of Cinema and Media Studies, and Visual Arts; Joseph Masco, Professor of Anthropology and of the Social Sciences; Dr. W. Mark Nutt, Principal Nuclear Engineer at Argonne National Laboratory and National Technical Director of the DOE-NE’s Nuclear Fuel Storage and Transportation Planning Project; and Natalia V. Saraeva, Nuclear Engineer at Argonne National Laboratory.

February 4, 2017

Carolyn Marie Wilkins: Mojo for Murder

2–3:30 p.m.57th Street Books

Author Carolyn Wilkins will be discussing the latest installment in her “Bertie Bigelow” murder mystery series. The series follows amateur detective and choir director Bertie as she investigates local mysteries and tries to keep her love life afloat.

Family Day: Sewing and Citizenship

1–4 p.m., Smart Museum of Art

Attendees of all ages can participate in an embroidery workshop inspired by pieces within the Smart’s exhibition, Belonging, and centered around the theme of community and identity. Materials will be provided.

Fourth Ward Aldermanic Candidiate Forum

10:30 a.m.–12 p.m., Kenwood Academy

February 5, 2017

MoominlandMidwinter!

2–3:30 p.m., 57th Street Books

This Moomin-themed event will feature map-making, a Moomin character quiz, and a themed photo-op. Additionally, all Moomin books will be 10 percent off.