Mayor Confirms Renovations to Cottage Grove Green Line Station

Mayor Rahm Emanuel says construction for the Cottage Grove and 63rd CTA Green Line Station is scheduled to start in early 2018.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel confirmed last Tuesday that upgrades to the Cottage Grove and 63rd CTA Green Line station will start in early 2018.

Plans for the station, the closest one to the planned Obama presidential library, include lighting and architectural changes to improve aesthetics and the experience of riders and pedestrians.

Emanuel originally introduced the idea in April but without a definite timetable or funding at that time.                                                             

The station’s Woodlawn neighborhood has seen a spike in development because of the library, as well as the ambitious housing and apartment projects that have begun since 2008. Tiger Woods is also spearheading the redevelopment of Jackson Park’s golf course.

Home prices have increased as well, though they still have not reached their prerecession peak. Real estate website Redfin identifies Woodlawn as the second hottest neighborhood in Chicago, as measured by growth in home prices.

Cottage Grove is one of many new CTA projects, thanks to a $1.1 billion grant from the United States Department of Transportation given in January. Renovations are also scheduled for Garfield station in nearby Washington Park.

Furthermore, the city is moving ahead with plans to integrate bike-sharing service Divvy into its Ventra payment system.