UCPD to Launch Trainings Open to Public

The trainings this week aim to reduce crime by promoting partnerships between the community and police.

University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) officers are undergoing Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) training this week. Community and University members are invited to attend any of the five free training sessions.

COPPS is designed to promote partnerships between the community and police with the goal of reducing crime, the UCPD said. The program’s introduction follows the June appointment of Kenton Rainey, former head of the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit, as the new head of the UCPD. When Rainey’s appointment was announced, the UCPD emphasized his focus on community and police collaboration.

“One of the many valuable areas of expertise Kenton brings to the University of Chicago is his involvement with creating innovative, community-based policing strategies,” Eric M. Heath, associate vice president for the University Department of Safety & Security, wrote in a statement. “Throughout his law enforcement career, Kenton has worked in diverse communities, where he built strong and positive relationships with community members and successfully implemented new policing programs, resulting in effective policing efforts.”

COPPS training will begin on Thursday, November 2, at the Hyatt Place Chicago-South at 5225 South Harper Avenue from 8 a.m.–12 p.m and 3–7 p.m. There will also be training sessions at the University Police Headquarters at 6054 South Drexel Avenue on Friday, November 3, from  8 a.m.–12 p.m. and 3–7 p.m., and on Saturday, November 4, from 8 a.m.–12 p.m.

Trainings are limited to 25 non-officers per session, and attendees must RSVP at https://goo.gl/3iA2Uz to reserve a spot.