UC Dems to Host Forum with Attorney General Candidates

The event will be moderated by a political reporter from NBC5 news and will feature representation from all the candidates.

The University of Chicago Democrats and the College Democrats of Illinois will host a public forum Monday for Illinois attorney general candidates. All eight Democratic candidates for Attorney General have confirmed their attendance or absentee representation.

“As the highest legal officer in Illinois, the attorney general plays a key role in the state’s dealings with Illinoisans and the federal government,” the UC Democrats Executive Board wrote in a statement to The Maroon. “It’s important that our next attorney general address the issues that matter to students and young people across Illinois.”

The event will feature questions chosen by the moderator as well as topics suggested by students across the state, according to the statement. The club added that it does not endorse candidates in the primaries but indicated that it will likely ultimately support the Democratic nominee.

The forum will be moderated by Mary Ann Ahern, a NBC 5 News political reporter. Last fall, Ahern moderated an Institute of Politics event and has previously moderated forums for the Illinois governor’s race, but this will be her first time working with the UChicago Democrats. “I think it’s fantastic that college students are involved with this election, and hopefully it’ll carry through to Election Day,” Ahern said.

Ahern said that it had been assumed current Attorney General Lisa Madigan would run again for the position, which made the current attorney general election a surprise to many. The candidates have “a very short time…to get their message out. So I think there’s going to be very keen interest in what they have to say.”

The forum will be held at the First Unitarian Church of Chicago (5650 South Woodlawn Ave) on January 8 at 6 p.m. The event will also be streamed on Facebook by the College Democrats of Illinois.