Swimming Jumps Back In

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were in action this past weekend, with the women sweeping their meet.

On January 12, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had a double dual meet with Lewis University and Olivet Nazarene University. Considering that this was the first meet after winter break, the teams were looking to return to peak fitness. The women’s team swept the meet and absolutely crushed Lewis, 222–65, and narrowly beat Olivet Nazarene, 154–144. The men’s team had more of a mixed meet, crushing Lewis as well, 177–99, but losing closely to Olivet Nazarene, 146–133. 

On the women’s team, first-year Elizabeth Shen had a very successful meet, winning her 100- and 200-yard freestyle races and finishing second in the 200-yard IM. Another individual winner for the Maroon women was Nadia Rezda in the 1000-yard freestyle, who finished with a blistering 10:42.86. 

Rezda was extremely happy with her individual and team results. “Overall, it was a great result for the team, especially considering we were racing some events that are not our usual events to keep us well-rounded and in shape. To come out of this with a win is just the icing on the cake,” Rezda said. 

The women’s team crushed its relay events, winning both the 400-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay. The team is determined to develop versatile swimmers to allow for more flexibility for upcoming events. 

Taye Baldinazzo won his 200-yard freestyle race and was the runner-up in the 100-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley. In addition to this strong individual performance, the men’s team dominated the relay events. Like the women’s team, the men’s team won the 400-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay, capping off a successful meet for the swimming and diving team. 

Next weekend, the swimming and diving teams will resume their competitions with a home meet against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Saturday at 1 p.m.