Some Bay Area Interns Supported by the University Required to Meet Donor or Face “Repercussions”

Some interns are required to attend a donor-student breakfast in downtown San Francisco with a Silicon Valley venture capitalist worth $4.5 billion.
Michael Moritz, the donor who students are required to meet, was knighted at Buckingham Palace in 2013.

The “Life of the Mind” apparently now includes mandatory attendance at meet-and-greets with wealthy donors.

Some Bay Area interns financially backed by the University are required to attend a donor-student breakfast in downtown San Francisco with Sequoia Capital Chairman Sir Michael Moritz, an investor worth $4.5 billion who donated $50 million to the Odyssey Scholarship program in 2016. Moritz is also a major contributor to the Metcalf Internship Program, which, among other things, funds many internships for students in the College.

The breakfast will be scheduled for a Tuesday morning at the end of July or the beginning of August.

The students who were selected for the breakfast with Moritz and his wife Harriet Heyman (A.M. ‘72) are required to attend, or else face “repercussions from Career Advancement,” according to an e-mail from the University.

The e-mail says the University will provide students with “talking points” for the conversation.

“The conversation will be informal, but we will be sure to share talking points with you in advance regarding your academic and professional interests, your Metcalf internship experience, and what you’ve been involved with on campus so that you are well prepared.”

The e-mail was shared to Facebook by rising fourth-year Qudsiyyah Shariyf, an Odyssey Scholar completing a Pozen Center internship, who gave The Maroon permission to publish.

()

()