University Announces New Wellness Center, Consolidating Health and Counseling Services on 59th

It will bring together the Student Health Service, Student Counseling Service, and Health Promotion and Wellness in one location.
-

A new wellness center will open at the University of Chicago in 2021, bringing together the Student Health Service, Student Counseling Service (SCS), and Health Promotion and Wellness in one location, the University announced Thursday morning.

The announcement represents an expansion of health and counseling resources for students, Provost Daniel Diermeier and Dean of Students Michele Rasmussen said in an e-mail.

The e-mail announced other recent enhancements, including the appointment of a full-time SCS case manager who will help students navigate off-campus mental health care and the launch of a mandatory online training program that aims to help students recognize when their friends are going through psychological distress.

The full e-mail reads:

… We are pleased to announce that after two years of planning, the University is building a new student wellness center to further improve our health, counseling and wellness resources. The center will expand the existing student health facility located at the University of Chicago Medical Center on 59th Street and Maryland Avenue and will feature a dedicated entrance on 59th Street for greater ease of access.

The new space – which is slated to open in 2021 – will bring together the Student Health Service, Student Counseling Service, and Health Promotion and Wellness in one location, enabling us to provide integrated care in a welcoming and student-centered environment with more medical and mental health providers on staff. We will continue to provide services and resources targeted at building overall well-being, including primary and acute care, immunizations, individual and couples therapy, substance use evaluations, meditation courses, and more.

Other recent enhancements include:

– The appointment of a full-time case manager in the Student Counseling Service. A new position, the licensed clinical social worker will serve as a guide to assist students who are referred to off-campus mental health providers. This role will connect students to services while working to expand the University’s network of local providers, and helping students find answers to their questions about insurance coverage for off-campus care.

– Launching a new online mental health simulation, At-Risk for College Students. This 30-minute simulation, which is required for all incoming College students and available to any student who wishes to complete it, helps students learn to recognize warning signs of psychological distress and encourage friends to seek help. The goal is to increase confidence in identifying and supporting fellow students in need of mental health resources.

– Helping faculty identify and support students in need of mental health resources. This program will start this autumn and builds off our successful Mental Health First Aid program, which is available to any member of the University community.

– Launching a redesigned, mobile-friendly Student Health and Counseling Services website, where you can find quick access to information, including a provider directory, education on healthy living, and services by topic.