Newsletter for February 6

Zimmer proposed permanent residency for Ph.Ds; pipe burst at Ronald McDonald house in HP forces families to relocate; Law School alum nominee grilled

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fifth week.

A burst pipe at the Ronald McDonald house in Hyde Park caused damage to the building, forcing families who have children undergoing treatment at Comer Children’s Hospital to relocate to a hotel.

Zimmer on Immigration: In a new interview with Times Higher Education, President Robert J. Zimmer said, “Immigration has been a huge competitive advantage for our country… But this [advantage] is under strain… researchers are asking ‘should I go to Canada, the UK or Australia instead?’”

— He said the U.S. should provide automatic permanent residency to anyone who completes a Ph.D at an American university: “We attract enormously talented individuals and spend years training them within our research systems, but often make it very difficult for them to stay… Why would we not want to welcome them?”

What does the City Treasurer do? Read the first article in a series of explainers on the offices Chicagoans will be voting on in the upcoming municipal elections.

Gabriel Piemonte, the underdog challenger opposing Alderman Leslie Hairston in the Fifth Ward, received endorsements from the Sun-Times and the Herald on Tuesday, adding to his Tribune endorsement. Hairston has held the seat for two decades.

Pipe burst at 56th and Maryland: In addition to the numerous pipe bursts on campus from last week, a UCPD incident report shows a burst due to the extreme cold on February 2 at the parking structure at 56th Street and South Maryland Avenue.

Neomi Rao (J.D. ’99), President Donald Trump’s pick to replace Brett Kavanaugh on the Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, faced questions from members of Congress Tuesday about her columns on date rape when she was a student at Yale, The Washington Post  reports. In 1994, she wrote, “It has always seemed self-evident to me that even if I drank a lot, I would still be responsible for my actions. A man who rapes a drunk girl should be prosecuted. At the same time, a good way to avoid a potential date rape is to stay reasonably sober.”

In Viewpoints

Editor Cole Martin writes in:

Columnist Lucas Du argues that environmental activists have to reckon with the difficult possibility that climate change cannot be prevented.

In Arts

Editor Zoe Bean writes in:

Solidary & Solitary highlights the art of Black artists, historically excluded from gallery spaces, while Smart to the Core: Embodying the Self adds a visual component to the Core Curriculum.

Rent Live became Rent Live-ish in a performance that was still a rough draft

In Sports

Editor Audrey Mason writes in:

Men's and women's tennis crush Hope College, keeping their undefeated status

Men's basketball lost in a tight game against Carnegie Mellon.

A spotlight on diver Elizabeth Cron, who was just named UAA Athlete of the Week.

Wrestling continues to dominate with three athletes reaching podium at the Pete Wilson Invitational.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.